Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
taking spriva with symbicort
mzjudyd posted:
I just read the medication guide paper that came with my Symbicort and it says: Do not take any other medicines that contain a long acting beta agonist (LABA) FOR ANY REASON! That medication is in Spiriva.

No one has told me not to use both. My pharmacist, my GP or my pulmanary doctor. I really want an answer to this or I will stop the Spiriva.

I was on Advair and Spiriva also for a long time.

bresky responded:
Hi mzjudyd

I am on both symbicort and spiriva, sympicort I take 3 puffs twice a day but can take it up to 8 times a day if needed (in Canada it is approved as a reliver medication) and also on spiriva which I take once a day. Spiriva actually does not contain a LABA it is an anticholinergic bronchodilator medication like atrovent, which means it relaxes the smooth muscle and prevents mucous production.
It is safe to take both together, Spiriva has made my asthma much more controlled.
Also Advair is alot like symbicort it is a combination drug that contains a steriod and a LABA.
I hope this helps and hope you don't have to stop the spiriva.
Bre

mzjudyd replied to bresky's response:
Thanks Bresky,

That answered my question. Interesting that you can take 3 puffs a day twice. I'm still having a hard time with physical actions and walking any distances since my lung cancer surgery. I think I'll ask my doctor if that would be okay for me.

Thanks again for your reply. Judy

bresky replied to mzjudyd's response:
Hi Judy

I am sorry to hear about the lung cancer, I do increase it up to 4 puffs twice a day when my asthma is really acting up, I find it does help somewhat with the flares. Are you also on ventolin have you tried that before physical activity? Not sure if it would help or not. I hope your doctor will let you increase it. I know my family doctor and other emergency room doctors I have dealt with are surprised to see me on that dose as it was a respiorologist who increased it. Let me know if you have any more questions, I think I have been on most of asthma medications in the last few years.

Bre

Helpful Tips

Remember to clean your rescue inhalerExpert
For patients using albuterol rescue inhalers, remember to wash the mouthpiece as directed. The typical recommendation is washing it once ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center