Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Difference in a Pulmonologist and Asthma Dr??
    nicatl posted:
    Is there a real difference in the 2 drs. I know pulmonologist treat more lung diseases but do they treat asthma just as well as a asthma dr does. It seems i read that pulmo drs do alot more testing. I saw a pulmo dr. about 30yrs ago who actually told me i had twitchy airways. He started me on an ICS and i rarely ever used an inhaler. As years have gone by, i have seen several asthma-allergy drs who didn't test me the same but started me on different things. My pulmo always did chest x-rays, things like that. Plus they can do the spirometer (sp) test where as the asthma dr. just do that test where they test your lung function by blowing real hard 3 times. So, who has benefited in seeing a pulmo dr verses a asthma dr. and do you still see a pulmo dr. instead of a asthma dr. I think a pulmo treats allergies as well. Thanks again for replies.
    bresky responded:
    Hi Nicatl

    I see a pulmoniologist, however I don't have allergy induced asthma. I did see an allergist for allergy testing and everything was negative although I was on high doses of prednisone at the time.
    It is different in Canada because unfortunately we can't necessarily choose who we see. When my asthma started getting worse I was initially referred to an internalist who has an interest in respiratory problems however he was not helpful. I was then referred to a pulminologist who worked with me for about 8 months, and she was good at ruling out other types of illness she then referred me to a different pulminologist who specializes in asthma and COPD. Which in my opinion should have been the first place to go.
    She has been treating me for a year and a half and has been excellent. She tested for a few more diseases such as vocal cord disfunction and even did a bronchoscopy (look inside your lungs) to make sure they weren't missing anything I do have a very atypical asthma. I was finally diagnosed with severe cough variant non allergic asthma.
    So for me an allergist would not be beneficial as I have never had an allergic response, however I found her good at looking at all aspects of different lung diseases and ruling them out. Every time I have an appointment with her which is every 4-6 weeks she does spirometery and a full chest assessment, and we talk about different treatment options. She is very knowledgable however she has an interest in asthma so I think that might help somewhat.
    It might depend on what you prefer but I know she looked at the allergy side of things but I don't react to most allergens.
    Let me know what you decide
    amcate responded:
    You might want to make contact at least once with each one.

    I was referred to an allergist by the first family practice guy. I couldn't afford it, so went to the student health clinic. Then, when I could afford it, I self referred to an allergist. The reason I self referred to an allergist is because I had mold growing out of my walls from a flood, and I reasoned that if I was allergic then there would be inflammation, and corticosteroid reduce inflammation, so I asked the student health clinic to increase corticosteroids until the mold could get cleaned up, and he told I was fine though I was losing consciousness for 5 minutes at a time, so I self referred to an allergist on an emergency type basis.

    The allergists were very good at allergy testing and the shots-they even found out they could induce an attack with me with the shots. They also offer the IgE blocker drug-Zolair? They go into a lot of detail on avoiding allergic triggers. They don't really rule out other pulmonary conditions, though.

    So, I've just started seeing a pulmonology clinic to rule out other pulmonary conditions. They said any asthma was being treated very well by review of medicines and how I told them I control triggers. They are in the process of doing the tests. I'll see how it goes and take it from there.
    amcate responded:
    Sorry-I reread what you wrote and forget my first sentence-obviously you have seen both. My mistake.

    Helpful Tips

    Asthma InhalersExpert
    There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    128 of 159 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center