Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New to Asthma
Anon_37818 posted:
I was diagnosed with Asthma a week or so ago. I am on advair diskus twice daily and albuterol inhaler when needed. I have not had an asthma attack since I started the advair diskus (2 weeks ago) but I have coughed a lot...especially after eating (even though I am on Nexium). I can't understand that but that is another post.

Should I take the albuterol when I have these crazy coughing spasms (which is once or twice daily) or only when I have the asthma attacks when my whole body goes crazy, (shortness of breath, tightness in the chest, terrible phlem, chills and fever, loss of appetite, etc?) Thanks!!!!

abbymay16 responded:
Yes,the albuterol can help with the coughing issues.Your breathing patterns may change a bit when eating which might be what is causing the cough to start afterwards. Also heartburn/reflux will also cause an asthmatic cough to flare.

The other symptoms you describe are NOT sound asthma symptoms....chills, fever, loss of appetite...these are NOT asthmatic symptoms so you might want to run those by your doctor.

It takes awhile after being diagnosed to learn how best to learn about your asthma, when to treat it etc....ask lots of questions and get educated on the signs/symptoms of asthma---in the long run it will really help you manage your asthma.

Good luck,

Mattie

Vive Bene, Spesso L'Amore, Di Risata Molto

(live well, love much, laugh often)

Helpful Tips

Remember to clean your rescue inhalerExpert
For patients using albuterol rescue inhalers, remember to wash the mouthpiece as directed. The typical recommendation is washing it once ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center