Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Asthma
Merrick321 posted:
My identical twin brother and I were diagnosed with asthma at a very early age; I think we were 5-years-old. My parents and 3 children were living in a very small garden apartment. Our father was always a heavy smoker. Our older brother did not have asthma and was rarely ever sick. We were sick all the time with asthma attacks. Constant back scratch tests, B12 shots, regular hospital visits, you name it.
When we were 8 or 9, my parents sent my brother and I to Denver, National Home for Asthmetic Children. We werew out there for a year, and went to school there also. Most of the time was undergoing tests in the hospital. We also got to play on weekends. After a year we came back home "almost cured".
We were allergic to all dairy, dogs, trees, grass, mold. The time was 1950. They did not have a lot of the treatments available now. At age 12 we moved to Long Island where I still live. Even though one does not get cured, it does not bother me anymore. It has not bothered me in many years. However, it comes out in other ways: skin problems mainly... exzema, psoriasis, etc. The sun helps. I am able to eat just about anything I want. Also, I have had dogs since I was in my 20s. Mostly mixed breeds. A lot of people with asthma are alergic to pure-breds. However, I now have a Yorkie.If kids take their meds as directed, they may not have to take them for as long as they think. Life can be good.

Helpful Tips

Inhaler UseExpert
For those who use daily inhaled steroids (controller medication) make sure to rinse out your mouth with water or brush your teeth after ... More
Was this Helpful?
49 of 142 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center