Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Risks of non-treatment
Crisita posted:
I had an allergy induced asthma attack last night. It has been years since I've had one and I don't have any medication with me. I am out of town and am waiting for my home doctor to call me back about whether she'll call in a rescue inhaler to a local pharmacy. My breathing is much better today, but still restricted, and I am wondering if there are any negative effects to going hours and hours without treatment. I am assuming the wheezing will continue to gradually improve.

sgbl88 responded:
I suggest that you go to an urgent care facility for a prescription. I doubt that your doctor will be able to call in a script unless you have seen him/her in the last year. It owould be better to be seen to make sure that their are no complications.

Take care and
God bless.
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

abbymay16 replied to sgbl88's response:
Yep I agree with Sonya...err on the side of caution.

And in the future always be sure you have a rescue inhaler with you regardless of whether you have needed it for ages.......asthma attacks can come up without much warning and its important to be safe.

Good luck,

Mattie

Vive Bene, Spesso L'Amore, Di Risata Molto

(live well, love much, laugh often)

Crisita responded:
Thanks Sonya and Mattie. I appreciate the advice. Thankfully my doctor was able to phone in a prescription for me.

sgbl88 replied to Crisita's response:
That is great.

Be sure to follow up with your doctor for a visit to try to make sure that you ave recovered from the attack and discus what could have triggered it.

Take care and
God bless.

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
121 of 151 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center