Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Uncontrolled Asthma-Considering xolair
Anon_176453 posted:
I am 33 years old. I was diagnosed with Asthma at 12 years old. My asthma has been really difficult to control over the past few years. I am already taking all of the medications that I can to control my asthma. I stopped the allergy shots that I have been taking for several years because it began triggering my asthma. I have taken so much oral steroid over the past few months that my potassium level dropped and I had to begin taking a potassium supplement. I have recently began seeing a new allergy/asthma doctor that suggested xolair. I have been tested to see if I qualify, but I haven't received my results yet. I am concerned about the potential side effects of starting the injections - if I qualify. I was wondering if anyone has any personal experiences with using xolair. Expert opinions on the safety of xolair are welcome!

sgbl88 responded:
Hi,
I have been taking Xolair for about three years. A very low percentage of users experience anaphalaxis reactions. That is the only risk that I know of.

I recommend the medication if you qualify. At first I didn't know if it was helping me, but now I am positive that it is.

It is expensive, so be sure to check with your insurance and discuss assistance programs with your doctor if you will need it.

Take care and
God bless,
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

deluxehd responded:
Hello,
My insurance didn't cover Xolair but my allergist was able to get me into a program that paid for most of it. I was responsible for the cost of administering it.

I received the shots for 1 year but unfortunately we didn't see any improvement.

Just a few thoughts: do you know all your triggers? Are you able to avoid them?

I know we are all different but my asthma is also triggered by food additives, preservatives, medications, etc. Recently we found that I am allergic to: latex, plastic, nylon and vinyl. All of these will trigger my asthma; some mild and some more severe. Since I have limited my exposure to the latex and plastic, I have been doing much better.

Good luck with Xolair and hope you are feeling better.
Debbie

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center