Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Asthma friendly dog
selenhart posted:
My 6 year old grand daughter has asthma and we had to get rid of her pet cat. She has been so heart broken she has been talking and at times cry's this has been going on for months and wants a pet so we need information on is there a bread of dog that would work for her?

sgbl88 responded:
Hi,
"Asthma friendly" for your grand-daughter would depend on if she is allergic to dogs or not. The allergen is actually a protein in the saliva and other body fluids.

A short hair dog would be better for not collecting pollen and other allergens on the coat. Keeping the dogs coat clean with regular baths and brushing will also help control allergens.

Also, the dog should never be allowed to sleep in her bed room. It would be best to keep the dog out of her bed room altogether. We had been talking about getting a dog when I was first diagnosed with asthma already knowing that I am allergic to dogs. Our children wer terrified of dogs so we really wanted to correct that. We did get a short haired dog, we put a baby gate upfor several years to keep the dog out of our bedroom. The dog will not even go down the hal to our bed room now.

I hope that helps you some.

Take care and
God bles.
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

bresky replied to sgbl88's response:
Hi

My parents have a sitzu Lhasa alpso cross. We got him before I was diagnosed with asthma. I don't have allergies to dogs but he does bother my asthma if we don't bath him often or if his hair gets really long. He doesn't shed unless we don't get him cut. My parents make sure he is clean before I come over with non scented shampoo and clip him often. He also doesn't go into the room I sleep in or come close to my face. I can imagine it being hard for ur granddaughter to give up her cat. Good luck Bre

Deesvette replied to bresky's response:
I have asthma which I have under control , we have 3 mini dachshunds and I have no problems. They do get their baths once a week and they love ya to brush them, they are our kids and very spoiled. Good luck ! I think small short haired dogs would work out well as long as your little one does not have allergies to dogs also. Again good luck hope everything works out for your granddaughter Darline

Helpful Tips

Inhaler UseExpert
For those who use daily inhaled steroids (controller medication) make sure to rinse out your mouth with water or brush your teeth after ... More
Was this Helpful?
49 of 142 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center