Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
An interesting set of circumstances
ahrneely posted:
Well, I'm not sure if this is an appropriate place to post this, however, I'm sort of struggling. I smoked one pack of cigarettes a week (on average) for approximately seven years. I also had Hodgkin's lymphoma and was given radiation to the chest and neck area. I also believe (though this has not been officially tested) that I have an allergy to pet dander (I live with a dog and two cats). Additionally, I live in Central Iowa, one of the most humid places during the summer.

All of that said, I have extreme difficulty fully filling my lungs in conditions of high humidity.

My personal physician ordered a pulmonary function test, and I passed with more than flying colors (I was even told by the test administrator that my results were far better than hers and she has a clean lung history).

Anyway, I'm looking for advice on how to cope with an obvious [to me> breathing issue that doesn't seem to have any medical solution.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for tolerating me if I'm totally out of line by posting this here.

Ahr Neely

amcate responded:
I don't think you are out of line by posting here. If they are looking at the results of one test only in determining what is going on, and they aren't looking at the whole picture, then you may want to get a second opinion from an Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology person or a pulmonologist if you haven't already.

In terms of nonmedical approaches, dairy can aggravate the lungs, and normally what I do is if I have trouble breathing, I try to identify the triggers and avoid them. So, if half of the breathing problems are happening in the car, then perhaps car exhaust is causing problems, and I"ll take steps to avoid it.

It could be you are allergic to things that grow in high humidity, like mold or dust, but normally I have trouble getting air out as opposed to getting air in.

Best of luck.

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center