Skip to content
ASTHMA AND FLYING
An_247312 posted:
Hey,
I've been having a asthma flare up for the past 5 days, (my emergency puffer works but the attack always comes back every few hours) ive been taking my other puffer to get it under control so its a waiting game now. Im really concerned because im flying tomorrow. The air in airplanes triggers my asthma attacks even when it is undercontrol, so i am extremely nervous about flying when i am having a flare up. My dr. gave me ativan to take before the flight to keep me calm but Im still terrified that I might have a serious attack and require medical attention from 30,000 feet. Anyone have advice for me

sgbl88 responded:
HI,
It sounds like flying isn't a very good idea for you right now. I would suggest that you use your rescue inhaler aproximately 20 minutes before flying and see how frequently you can use it during the flight. That may get you through the flight. If you have a nebulizer, that would be better. You may try going to an urgent care facility to see about getting some pred started or a solumederol shot to start getting you over this flare more quickly.

Please let us know how you do.

Take care and
God bless.
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

amcate responded:
TSA has always let me carry on my portable nebulizer. I carry on no more than five vials of medicine, more than enough to get through an emergency. Sometimes they've asked me questions, but then I explain my medical condition, and I'll show them prescriptions that have not been filled with my allergist's name preprinted with their board certification to offer evidence I'm not trying to blow up the plane. They've always let me carry it on.

I don't know, though if you have a portable nebulizer. I also carry on prednisone for the same reason. Again, though, I don't know if you have prednisone on hand. You could try a walk in medical center if you don't and can't get to your doctor's before the flight....or wear a mask. Surprising, TSA is okay with masks that block particulate matter in my experience....you may look odd and get weird stares, but if the trigger is particulate matter then it should help. It also prevents getting infection as you are so close to everyone else physically.

anita532 responded:
I give thumbs up to wearing a face mask as well. I think it is all the dust in planes that causes so much asthma trouble. Plus all the perfumes, deodorants, shampoos, etc.

ktdid70 responded:
I agree with all these posts. If you need to go to an urgent care center for pred (or sometimes your dr may be able to call in a rx if you can contact them, some make you leave a message or wait days for a rx) to use your inhaler shortly before your flight is what my asthma educator would have suggested to me. And definately bring and use your peek flow meter to keep an eye on your symptoms while you are on the plane and your trip. Like they said a mask may be your best protection from making your asthma worse during your trip.

The thing to remember is your health is the most important thing in your life, if it means looking odd for a little while or having to explain it, that is better than the flight making your trip more miserable (and avoid a trip to an emergency room). If your symptoms continue after your trip it is probably a good idea to see your dr to see if there is something that may help clear it up if the steps you had used so far wasnt helping completely.
My note may be after your trip, but all of this is god advice for anyone in this situation. Take care.

amcate replied to anita532's response:
I usually wear a mask to help prevent bacterial infections as in a plane you are very crowded and the air is recirculated. If a person does wear a mask, they would have to be careful to know what exactly the mask blocks.

amcate replied to ktdid70's response:
I'm reading the beginning of your second paragraph. I think it makes sense to say that nothing is more important than your health if it's about a plane flight.

What I'm about to say is not directed at you, but is a general comment about wearing masks. I wore one whenever I was outside of my apartment for 3 years to get the prednisone load down. This included at the job, at job interviews...if you can imagine it. It that scenario, a person often faces challenges that someone who doesn't wear a mask all the time may not be aware of. It is very hard to prove a violation under the American with Disabilities Act, and to even try can result in other employers being hestitant to hire a person. So, I found myself in a position of having to choose to wear a mask or having money for rent and food. So, I think in terms of always wearing a mask, each individual has to decide what is best in their situation. In terms of always wearing a mask whenever you are out of your house, it becomes a quality of life versuses quantity of life issue, and certainly the added stress from finances can itself aggravate asthma in some people. Again, not necessarily directed at you, but a general comment on wearing masks.

However, in the situation of wearing a mask on a plane flight, the worse you get is people staring and then not sitting by you....which is actually good if they don't sit by you since you are less likely to get an infection from them and you have more leg room....and they are strangers you probably won't see again. So, I agree with you about wearing a mask on a plane flight.

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center