Skip to content
Teenager (have not have asthma attack for 6-7 years), is it okay to adopt a dog?
An_247323 posted:
Hi everyone. I had very mild, but recurring asthma attacks when I was younger (7-9). I had a skin test completed and discovered that my pet parakeets were the causes of my asthma. The parakeets have since been adopted out. I also have mild allergies to pollen, mold, and certain types of weeds, but being a resident of New Jersey (the Garden State), I haven't even needed to use any form of medication for a good 3 years. I haven't needed my inhaler for 3-5 years except once or twice after intensive sprinting (mild sports-induced asthma).

Now my question is: is it okay to adopt a dog/furry pet? I tested negative to both cats and dogs on an allergy skin test and I have been exposed to friends' dogs/cats and have never had problems. If a problem is to arise, the animal will be adopted out immediately.

What is the worst case scenario? Will this hurt my health in the long run? I am 17 right now if this makes any difference.

sgbl88 responded:
Hi,
It sounds like a cat or dog may be a good option for you. Keep in mind that allergens can develop at any time. To minimize the risk of developing a cat/dog allergy you should keep the pet out of your bed room and try to keep the pet off upholstered furniture.

I hope you enjoy the addition to your family.

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

amcate responded:
If you decide to get one, be sure you have rescue medicine on hand just in case. I'm not aware of long term issues, except if you were to develop a new allergy. You can always try fostering an animal before getting one long term as a trial, but I don't see anything that would predict issues based on what you said.

Helpful Tips

Inhaler UseExpert
For those who use daily inhaled steroids (controller medication) make sure to rinse out your mouth with water or brush your teeth after ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 143 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center