Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chest pain with Topomax
EMAGALSKY posted:
Hello,
My Doctor put me on Topomax for epilepsy back in April/May 2012. After all the nasty side affects I was experiencing (confusion, speech problems, weight loss, loss of appetite, dizziness and ringing in my ears, anxiety, and possibly a few more) My husband and I decided to start weaning me off of the drug. I was no longer myself at all. I've been weaning off of it for a while now because I was at such a high doze (600mlg a day, 300 in the morning and 300 at night) After several weeks of the weaning I started having pain in my chest, tightness and some shortness of breath. It went away after a few days. It seemed as though my body was adapting to the lower doze of the medication. Perhaps it was going through some withdraws. I did see that chest tightness was a symptom of tomopax, so I was not to concerned. Now a few weeks later the pain has been a dull ache almost all day for the past few days. Tonight my throat started to hurt. Not a sore throat, but the muscles in my esophagus. I've been catching myself taking deep breaths. The pain comes and goes in my chest, and it seems that turning my neck increases the pain. I just wanna feel normal again... Does anyone have any ideas of what might be going on? I'm very close to being off Topomax, trying to decide also if I should wait a little longer to wean off totally or if I should wean off to 50mlg. I've been down to 100 for the past 2 weeks.

Helpful Tips

Inhaler UseExpert
For those who use daily inhaled steroids (controller medication) make sure to rinse out your mouth with water or brush your teeth after ... More
Was this Helpful?
49 of 142 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center