Skip to content
long term prognosis
amcate posted:
I keep hearing and reading different things regarding if moderate to severe persistent asthma deteriorates over time. I know that emphysema progressively and inevitably gets worse. (I usually use the term COPD to mean emphysema, but perhaps I'm wrong and COPD may be a broader term). I asked my allergist, and at first they said it was reasonable to expect I would end up being disabled due to long term scarring. However, when I was last in there, they said the opposite-that since I'm compliant with medicines and try hard to avoid triggers, I may end up with local areas of scarring from the inflammation, but it should not be anything that would affect my ability to perform daily activities. Other times I've been told by allergists that either the asthma or the side effects from medicines will get me due to the dosages needed.

I've read on the internet conflicting reports, with some saying that adult onset asthma goes through exacerbations and remissions, but does not inevitably deteriorate like emphysema. Others say it does if it's severe enough. So, overall, I'm getting conflicting information on this.

I consulted a pulmonologist for the first time this year, and though I've had moderate to severe persistent asthma for at least 12 years (I've lost count), they could not find any scarring in the lungs. They said it was probably because my action plan is very aggressive and increases coritosteroids / anti inflammatory medicines rapidly when things go south. So, they said the main risk would be from long term effects of corticosteroids, but they did not know what else to do.

Anyway, no one knows the future for sure, but I'm trying to plan things out financially. I know I do what I can, humidity at just the level, plants to take away indoor air pollution, change in diet, control stress, get enough sleep, exercise, avoid allergens, avoid outdoor air pollution, take meds, etc., however it's still there although in a less severe form than if I was ignoring it. Even the allergists has had to remind me, "you can't avoid all triggers, so just do the best you can." Another said, "well, you do the best you can, but some people just have bad asthma-it could just be the severity of the disease, but yes....still do all you can."

Basically, I'm just trying to plan things out financially in the long term but keep getting conflicting information on if moderate to severe persistent asthma inevitably deteriorates over time like emphysema does. I also know there are long term risks of the medicines themselves. Thanks for any information you all have.

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
122 of 152 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center