Exercise Induced Asthma What Should I Try Next?
aamirus posted:
I have been diagnosed with Exercise-Induced Asthma (it's not asthma triggered by exercise but the real EIA)
I was given Flovent to take twice daily and Proventil HFA (albuterol) an inhaler to use during/before physical activity.
Both have not helped with my symptoms at all.
What is the next medication you would recommend i ask my doctor about?

Aqua14 responded:
I am confused about what you wrote: "it's not asthma triggered by exercise but the real EIA." Can you please explain? My understanding is that EIA is indeed asthma triggered by exercise..

There are two more medications you could discuss with your doctor. First, Singulair is reported to help with EIA. Second, a long-acting bronchodilator will also help. Brands of long-acting bronchodilators include Foradil, a dry powder inhaler.

What are your symptoms that you say are not helped by your current medications? Perhaps the symptoms are not from EIA but from something else. For example, exercise sometimes triggers acid reflux, and reflux symptoms would not be helped by Flovent or Proventil (to some extent).

Hope this helps. Take care & good luck. Judy

Olivia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and welcome, aamirus!

Here is some information on Exercise-Induced Asthma that includes some ideas on medications you can discuss with your doctor.

We hope you'll come back here and tell us how your visit went and share how you're doing.

We have lots of other members who visit here with EIA, and it would be great to have you share your experiences here so they know they are not alone.

Take care,
Olivia