Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My 2-year old with asthma is always sick
pjsmom posted:
OK here goes: I have a 2-year old who was diagnosed with asthma at 14 months. Generally, children are not diagnosed under 2 years of age but he was hospitalized during an attack & after fighting his whole life with breathing issues (every cold lasted weeks & ended up in him in resp distress, RSV..etc), they finally came to the conclusion that, yes he has asthma & we need to proactively treat it. We've been told his trigger is viruses. He takes flovent (2 puffs twice a day) and ventolin (2 puffs every 4 hours if he starts coughing, wheezing or is in distress). This time last year, he was hospitalized for 3 days while they struggled to get his O2 level up. Prior to that, he was constantly sick. Colds, vomiting, always congested and always always always coughing. This year, he was doing great until the beginning of September. For a month, I feel like I'm having deja vu of last year. He's been on his ventolin for most of September & has been sick the whole time. Ear infections, vomiting, congestion, wheezing and (again) always always coughing. We took him off the inhaler last Sunday for 1 day because it seemed, outside of a stomach issues, he was fine. That night he started coughing again & hasn't stopped. Does anyone have any ideas here? One of the most frustrating parts of all of this is that he's too young to tell us when he's out of breath or feels bad. 3 weeks ago he had an asthma attack at daycare & they didn't realize it until he collapsed. I'm so worried about my son & we're just constantly in and out of the pulmonologist's office, urgent cares, ped office...you name it. He's been in a doctor's office at least once a week (on a good week) since the beginning of September. I'm bringing him back to the pulm tomorrow to talk about his treatment because I'm not happy with having him on ventolin for a month straight with little to no results. I just want to help him & it seems what we're doing is just not working. We're missing something here & I'm hoping if I reach out to you guys, you might have some ideas as to what. I appreciate any feedback you might be able to provide.

Helpful Tips

Inhaler UseExpert
For those who use daily inhaled steroids (controller medication) make sure to rinse out your mouth with water or brush your teeth after ... More
Was this Helpful?
49 of 142 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center