Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is Singulair used more for allergies than for Asthma?
nicatl posted:
Hi

My dr. recently gave me singulair to take with my Alvesco. He said it would help with asthma but I have also heard it helps with allergies as well. I have allergic asthma so I'm hoping it really works more for my allergies. I use Allegra but I get tired of taking so many meds a day. So,,any of you use singulair for your allergies and if so,,,does it help??? Thanks so much!!
Nicki

coughy16 responded:
I also have allergies and allergic asthma and take singulair. Added to my advair, singulair was a huge help for my asthma, however sadly, I didn't notice any changes in my allergies. I decided to get immunotherapy and that has helped a lot with both.

Aqua14 responded:
There are medical studies showing that, when taken WITH an oral antihistamine, Singulair has a positive synergistic effect. In other words, taking the antihistamine plus Singulair relieves symptoms much better than taking either med, alone.

My experience was that taking Singulair plus my antihistamine helped a lot, especially with congestion.

If you're thinking about taking Singulair instead of Allegra, I think you may find that Singulair alone isn't enough. But ask your allergist if you can try it and see what happens.

If you're tired of taking so many meds, think about starting allergy shots. Sure, it takes years for them to reach full effectiveness, but once they do you will likely be able to cut down on your meds. I'm in year 6 of my shots and the difference for both my allergies and asthma are remarkable.

Hope these thoughts help. Take care & good luck. Judy

sgbl88 responded:
My 15 year old has primarily exercised induced asthma, but illness triggered as well. She also has pretty bad allergies this time of year. She had been off medication for several years because of lack of compliance.

Recently she said that she would take care of ther asthma. Our GP put her on Singulair for maintenance alone. She has stopped taking antihistamine, but has felt much better as far as her allergies go taking Singulair alone. Her asthma is responding to her rescue med now.

I am surprised by how well she is doing with just Singulair for maintenance.

Singulair is helping her allergy symptoms.

However, you should never drop a medication without talking to your doctor about it.

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Helpful Tips

Naturally Manage Asthma
Put two to three drops of pure peppermint oil into a hot steamy rag then cover over your nose and mouth. It definitely helps you breathe ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center