Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    mleej posted:
    My wifeashma is getting to the point that we cannot go to places were people wear perfume or strong lotions. She has to use a nubulizer because she is allergic to the HFA in the inhalers. The other day we were in a location were we couldn't get electric for the nubulizer and she had to be rushed to a hospital. My question is, is there an inhaler that doesn't use the HFA, and if so how do we get it?
    sgbl88 responded:
    Hi and welcome to the community.

    Maxair Autohaler is a non-Hfa inhaler. It may be discontinued at some point, but I asked my allergist about it a few weeks ago and there are no current plans to discontiue it. You would have to ask her doctor to prescribe it.

    You may want to look into a battery operated neb for her. There are several. I have the Respironics Mini-Elite. It has an available lithium rechargable battery or it is small enough to carry and plug in. It also comes with a car adapter for use on the go. There are hand held nebs as well.

    I hope she is feeling better by now.

    Take care and God bless,

    Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]
    amcate responded:
    I have a nebulizer with "Pari Trek" on the front. I got it through a company called Apria. The MD wrote a prescription for a "portable nebulizer" after I was in a similar situation to your wife. It has a battery that you charge in the wall. Insurance did not pay for the battery, but it was about one hundred dollars. They did pay for the nebulizer and tubing itself even though I already had a large one that is hard to carry. You could contact the company where you got the nebulizer from and see if they need a prescription for a portable nebulizer and battery set up. That's how it works in the USA, but I don't know about other countries like Canada. I do not know about inhalers that don't use HFA.
    pavane replied to sgbl88's response:
    You might want to be *very* careful about using the Maxair. Although it is non-Hfa it contains propellants that are certainly allergens and can cause some people (like me) to go into anaphyllactic shock. Not good. If you can, stick to the mini-nebulizers. Here is a page reference for the propellants:
    this is under How is Maxair Autohaler Supplied:

    WARNING: Contains trichloromonofluoromethane and dichlorodifluoromethane, substances which harm public health and environment by destroying ozone in the upper atmosphere

    They can also destroy your lungs.
    coughy16 responded:
    I reacted poorly to the propellent in other inhalers, so I use maxair which the other poster mentioned. It does work much better for me than the others, but I wish they would market a dry powder rescue inhaler in the U.S. like they do in so many other countries! The other thing is that if her asthma is being super easily triggered right now, maybe her asthma is not under optimal control, maybe she should see her dr and think about tweaking her control meds? When my asthma is not well controlled, I cant be around scents, can't even cook in my oven, but now that I have it well controlled, I can tolerate much more. Not to say that I could spend hours standing next someone who took a bath in cologne, but I can tolerate scents for a much longer time than I used to.
    JacS599 responded:
    I'm pretty sure you can get Ventolin DPI/Diskus now. It's a higher dose than the HFA inhalers, but there's no propellant. I think the DPI is 200 mcg doses instead of the 100 mcg you get from ye olde puffers

    I'm sensitive to scents and perfumes too.

    Good luck!

    coughy16 replied to JacS599's response:
    There is a ventolin diskus, however at my last check it was not available in the u.s. If you know otherwise, please let me know where you found it!
    JacS599 replied to coughy16's response:
    Wish I knew. I'm in Canada, and just use the hfa. Have you asked the doc about when they might be appearing in the US? I think the UK has them already.
    amcate replied to coughy16's response:
    My last visit to the allergist was in December 2013. We discussed the fact that my CombiVent inhaler was no longer available due to CFCs. She mentioned a rescue inhaler that was a diskus that was now available in the US, but said the directions on how to use it were new to her, so I would have to read the manufacturer's instructions. I don't recall it's name and didn't try it since she said it was probably more expensive than some other alternatives. It is possible she was referring to the ventolin diskus referred to here.
    amcate replied to amcate's response:
    Sorry, typo alert, of course my last visit was not December 2013... that would be quit a trip into the was December 2012.

    Helpful Tips

    Sports Asthma
    I Have sports related Asthma. I joined the Army and we ran A LOT! the more i ran the better i felt and less my asthma bothered me. i am no ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    5 of 5 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center