Skip to content
Drixoral: Allergy Med
Moetsch posted:
Wow. All posts on this page are 4 years old. Go figure, you can beat a dead horse for so long. I've been uninformed BUT recently I found some Drixoral as old as 2005 and have been impressed that it, and only it, relives my symptoms like no substitute can. I have written my congressman/woman and the Pres. of the USA, and the FDA. Here's what I wrote:

Please do not give me a generic answer:

Hello, my name is Matt Casey and I am writing regarding the allergy medication Drixoral. Years ago and after going through a myriad of allergy medications my doctor found one that relieved my allergies, Drixoral. It is my understanding that Drixoral has been indefinitely discontinued because one of its ingredients, pseudoephedrine, can be used to make methamphetamine. Since then once again I am going through the process of trying different allergy medicines. None work satisfactorily and I suffer frequently as a result. Recently I found some old Drixoral and have been taking it. Even though it expired years ago it still works. I had forgotten what it was like to be allergy free. The fact that Drixoral has been pulled off the market and no suitable substitute is available is a problem not only for me but for many, many others. I have been on several user forums and know that others still suffer with no relief or suggested alternatives. Supposedly Drixoral is available from other, questionable sources. I have not tried any of these yet but probably will soon. This puts me at risk of getting bad medicine. I don't understand why Drixoral can't be prescribed and regulated like other controlled substances. Is there anything that you can do?

I got a generic response from two of my local Congressman/woman.

Allow me to be more succinct/direct:

It is my understanding that Drixoral has been indefinitely discontinued because one of its ingredients, pseudoephedrine, can be used to make methamphetamine.

In other words, the product was not due to safety concerns but rather concerns that criminals could misuse the product.

It is the only one that works effectively to relieve me of my medical symptoms. I've been suffering with my allergies ever since they pulled the product. Though others help, they do not relieve my symptoms. I've been ok with this until I found some Drixoral as old as 2005. They still work.

Can you tell me why Drixoral was pulled from the market? If it is because criminals were misusing it, I don't understand why it can't be a controlled substance, like other medicines.

I would appreciate a personal response that addresses my issue, and is of the same concern of many others who's symptoms are not adequately controlled by replacement products.

Thank you,

Matt Casey

Take the Poll

If you used Drixoral in the past to treat your allergies, have you found a suitable substitute that relieves ALL your allergy symptoms?
  • Yes - The substitute completely relieves all my symptoms
  • No - Nothing works as good as Drixoral
vote
View Poll Results

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
123 of 153 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center