Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Drixoral: Allergy Med
Moetsch posted:
Anyone else experience the consequences of the unavailability of Drixoral? I accepted it until I found some Drixoral as old as 5 years AND it still works! None others work well. The following is part of a letter that I have written to my Congressman/woman, the President of the US, and the FDA. I would like to revisit the issue.

Quite a few years ago, and after going through a myriad of allergy medications, my doctor found one that relieved my allergies, Drixoral.

It is my understanding that Drixoral has been indefinitely discontinued because one of its ingredients, pseudoephedrine, can be used to make methamphetamine.

Since then once again I am going through the process of trying different allergy medicines. None work satisfactorily and I suffer frequently as a result. Recently I found some old Drixoral and have been taking it. Even though it expired years ago it still works. I had forgotten what it was like to be allergy free. The fact that Drixoral has been pulled off the market and no suitable substitute is available is a problem not only for me but for many, many others. I have been on several user forums and know that others still suffer with no relief or suggested alternatives. Supposedly Drixoral is available from other, questionable sources. I have not tried any of these yet but probably will soon. This puts me at risk of getting bad medicine. I don't understand why Drixoral can't be prescribed and regulated like other controlled substances.

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center