Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fellow Asthma family
An_249622 posted:
Hi,
My 12 yo has been an asthmatic since age 2. We do a lot of preventative meds and started allergy shots at age 7 (family decision). He was the bubble boy back then. He is so much better now. He has been on shots for 5 years, with singulair, claritin, sudafed daily along with variety of nasal sprays. He got sick in Nov, but with a short dose of steroids and antibiotics - seems to have gotten better. He can play outside, we have an outdoor dog, but we still homeschool and keep to ourselves!
We don't have indoor pets, clean alot, try to dust and decrease the clutter. Bed covers, pillow covers, etc. He does not have food allergies - just picky. He is allergic to many airborne things. We don't go out much and can't stay at friends houses who have pets. Perfume, smoke, etc all seem to bother us. I had severe asthma when I was pregnant with both kids, and seem to have certain triggers. I too, take lots of meds, but it is pretty controlled until I get sick.
The steroids are a real problem with kids and adults (anger, no self control, etc.) I have been on steroids and had kids on steroids. : )
THanks for sharing. Hope that the kids outgrow the asthma!

Helpful Tips

Remember to clean your rescue inhalerExpert
For patients using albuterol rescue inhalers, remember to wash the mouthpiece as directed. The typical recommendation is washing it once ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center