Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Oxygen desaturation during sleep
deanne65 posted:
I have been diagnosed with reactive airway disease and recurrent rhinnitis. I am also on thyroid medication, and have recently had a saliva cortisol test to see if my adrenals are not functioning well. I have been waking up very tired every morning, for as long as I can remember, and I am looking for possible causes.
I have taken it upon myself to measure my O2 saturation the first thing when waking up, and have found that I might be desaturating during my sleep. I have been well below 95 percent for the past couple of mornings, but am not sure if I am getting an accurate reading. My saturation goes up to 99 percent within several minutes of being awake, but it is during sleep that I am a little concerned about. Is minimal desaturation during sleep rather common among asthmatics? I know it can be for those with COPD, but I have not been diagnosed with irreversible COPD.

sgbl88 responded:
Hi and welcome to the community.

You should discuss this with your doctor. This is a symptom of sleep apnea which can be serious and cause heart attacks. It can also be a symptom of asthma flare. I have desturated into the mid 80's when really sick and in a serious flare.

Definitely something to discuss with your doctor soon.

Take care and God bless.

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Helpful Tips

Naturally Manage Asthma
Put two to three drops of pure peppermint oil into a hot steamy rag then cover over your nose and mouth. It definitely helps you breathe ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center