Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Asthma or cold?
rob1986 posted:
I have exercise induced asthma. Its often not a problem for me. About three years ago I used to work out and exercise a lot, and kept it under relatively good control. More recently, however, I have not been working out at all. As an attempt to get back into it I went for two rather strenuous (for me) runs about three days ago.

Anyways, the past couple days since I have felt a little tight and congested in the chest. I don't know if this is related to the exercise or perhaps a cold brewing? I don't have any other cold symptoms, no runny nose, coughing, sneezing, or high temperature. I feel fine, actually, except for my chest.

My big question I suppose is is the chest tightness/congestion normal for someone with exercise induced asthma? Thanks.

amcate responded:
Chest tightness/congestion happens with asthma. However, it also happens with other things as well.

I'm wondering if it was cold when you ran and the cold air aggravated the asthma.

rob1986 replied to amcate's response:
both times i ran in the evening and it was a bit cold so perhaps that aggravated it. last night i could have sworn i was on the brink of a cold but i woke up today feeling mostly okay. chest is still a little tight but its better than yesterday.

man this is annoying.

amcate replied to rob1986's response:
Asthma tends to get worse at night. If you have any concerns, seeing the doctor might help, especially if you don't currently have asthma medicines.

In my case, I treat it like asthma because if I get a cold infection, it will end up triggering an asthma exacerbation anyway. So, I get a peak flow, do the rescue meds, and then get the peak flow 20 minutes later to see if the medicines helped. Depending on how bad it is, I'll increase inhaled corticosteroids or whatever else the asthma action plan says.

saracee responded:
The winter cold will aggravate a common cold OR asthma. Chest will tighten up, etc. I would think the answer to your last question is yes. Have you been exercising again? Any updates?

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center