Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Exercise Induced Asthma - No relief!
Seeler posted:
I'm 38 years old and my EIA has seemed to worsen every year. Aside from some issues with allergies and colds, my breathing problems seem to be solely limited to high-intensity excerise. Hockey has been particularly difficult. After only a few seconds of exertion, I find myself struggling for air, taking several minutes to recouperate only to find myself weak and lathargic and breathless for the remainder of the game. Though I've dealt with this for my entire lifetime, it's become almost entirely prohibitive now. I fear this may be my last year for participating in high-exertion sports.

I've visited my doctor repeatedly and have completed lung capacity and other tests and have been prescribed many medications including Serevent, Singulair, Symbicort, Pulmicort and Asmanex (at least those are the ones I can remember) along with emergency inhalers like Salbutamal. But nothing seems to work. I've also tried other preventative actions including extended warm-ups, inhaling steam, breathing through my nose (as much as I can), etc.

Anything else, I could be missing? Sports are a large part of my active life and I would hate to have to give it up to what is commonly referred to as a "treatable ailment". Thanks

Aqua14 responded:
Have you tried wearing a mask or scarf over your nose and mouth when exercising? I'm thinking about playing hockey either in the outside cold or a cold indoor rink. Either a Polartec fleece neck gaiter worn over nose and mouth, or a thinner balaclava might work (and be good for hockey, where you probably don't want to wear a scarf).

When my asthma was worse I've used both the neck gaiter and the balaclava at different times (while skiing or snowshoeing), and this works to reduce or eliminate the reaction. The theory is that wearing those warms and humidifies the air you're breathing in, so your lungs won't react.

How long in advance of exercise do you use Singulair or the bronchodilators Serevent or salbutamal?

Also, if your reactions are increasing like this, it might mean that you need to take a daily controller medication like the Symbicort, Pulmicort or Asmanex, in addition to the bronchodilators in advance of exercise. Sometimes it takes awhile for the controllers to reduce the lung inflammation and make your lungs less reactive.

Hope this helps. Take care & good luck. Judy

Helpful Tips

Inhaler UseExpert
For those who use daily inhaled steroids (controller medication) make sure to rinse out your mouth with water or brush your teeth after ... More
Was this Helpful?
49 of 142 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center