Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bronchitis
bpcookie posted:
I went to Urgent Care because I thought that I had a lung infection or even pneumonia. I had a headache, felt like I had a head cold, runny nose, coughing up thick phlegm, shortness of breath, and my lungs hurt even if I was just walking, sometimes they hurt each time I took a breath. The Dr. listened to my lungs, looked in my ears and mouth, told me that I had no fever, then she determined it was Bronchitis. I wish I would have asked her to do an X-ray. Ive had pneumonia before and it felt like that is what I have.

For those of you who have had bronchitis, what meds did they put you on? The Dr. had me take three days worth of an antibiotics, 5 days of steroids and told me to take over the counter musinex. Is this enough to wipe out Bronchitis? Also, should I be resting in bed? I got absolutely no instructions as to what I was supposed to do, besides taking some meds.

Any help would be appreciated.

Aqua14 responded:
Every patient is different, so it probably isn't very useful to compare yourself to others who have had bronchitis.

I get bronchitis about once a year, usually after a cold. Sometimes I get antibiotics and steroids, sometimes antibiotics and I simply increase my normal asthma medications. The last time I had it, just a few weeks ago, I was prescribed 7 days of Biaxin and no oral steroids; I just increased the dose of my asthma meds.

If you aren't feeling much better after finishing the antibiotics and steroids, then revisit your doctor for further treatment. Hope this helps. Take care & good luck. Judy

amcate responded:
The role of urgent care in my area is to keep me stable until I can see my regular asthma doctor. They don't usually give me other instructions, assuming I will make an appointment with my regular doctor who will then give further instructions. That said, anything that could have been bronchitis they pretty much treat like asthma in my case. Therefore, I don't really know if I've had bronchitis or not...I only know I have asthma.

There was once an urgent care doctor who also was a family practice doctor, and he offered information about elimination diets, and tried to get at what was triggering the asthma. It was helpful as I learned about elimination diets to test for food reactions (which my allergist had not informed me of), but that is not typical.

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center