Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
11 month old with Asthma
JamieP213 posted:
Hello Everyone,
After numerous phone calls with our family pediatrician she decided to put our son who is 11 months old on Albuterol. This doesn't seem to be helping. Since he was 3 months old he has had a chronic dry cough and can't seem to breathe very well at night. The other night he stopped breathing completely for 5-10 seconds and then continued to hyperventilate in his sleep. Every time we have brought him in though his O2 levels were normal. She has asked us to video tape him while sleeping, I was wondering if anyone has gone through something simiar to this. We have a dog and have rehomed our cat in the process of trying to figure out what is going on with him. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

amcate responded:
The oxygen company where I live lent me a pulse ox for use at home overnight. It is free, but requires a doctor's script. Perhaps you could ask your doctor about it? It would get O2 sats throughout the night versus what they are once you bring him in and may give more information.

jcbj7800 responded:
I have had some problems similar to this with my 4 yr old (it started with him when he was 1 1/2 I think) and now my 6 mo old. I feel like the connection is reflux that sparks croup and now that has become asthma with my 4 yr old. There isn't a lot of research out there but some things allude to this being a possibility...I looking or more info and to connect with others who have children with similar issues.
The hyperventilating in their sleep...is that a similar sound like someone would have after they have cried a lot and they can't catch their breath? I see that in both of my children and sometimes they sleep right through it and other times they wake up screaming. It definitely disrupts their sleep and especially with my older one I noticed considerable gaps in his breathing at time (several seconds at a time).
My 4 yr old has been on several maintenance medications over the last yr to control the asthma and we are finally seeing an improvement. When he has a flair up, and oral steroid is the thing that will help him come out of it. Sometimes other things are needed in addition to it.
Does your child have reflux? Is the sound I am describing familiar? I would love to know if you have figured anything else out!

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center