Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Way sick and frustrated
Aimeelynn123 posted:
16 days and counting. No relief despite ER, 6 days in hospital on IV steroids, antibiotics, and round the clock breath treatments.

44 year old female. Asthma my whole life. Know what to do when I get bronchitis and pneumonia....

One night started with low grade fever. Next morning I woke up to full blown bronchitis. Immediately went to clinic and started my regime of antibiotics, prednisone, advair 500/50, and nebulizer treatments. No relief. Saw primary doc 4 days later. She added mucinex and cough syrup.

Very short of breath. Wheezing. No relief from breath treatments. Low grade fever continued. Doc instructed me to go to ER. Triple dose if albuterol didn't help. Peak flow not great, but in the yellow. Oxygen at 98%. Wheezing. Gasping for air. Hoarse voice. Tightness feels more in upper chest and trachea area.

Admitted to hospital for 6 days. High doses of steroids, antibiotics, breath treatments. No relief. Still have low grade fever. Two X-rays show small fluid in lower lungs due to lack of taking deep breath, but no real concern despite gasping and tightness. Was diagnosed with vocal chord dysfunction. Learned how to cough correctly and get deeper breaths, but SOB continued. They refused to do a catscan or Bronchioscope despite my having mucous plugs in lungs 2 years ago. Feels similar... They said my lungs are clear and oxygen is fine. I explained that's what happened before as well and it wasn't until Catscan and bronchioscope that it was figured out.

Discharged with NO relief.

Saw primary care doc today and she was frustrated for me. Gasping. Sweating bullets. Hoarse. Pulse was 95. Blood pressure slightly elevated. Some wheezing In lower lungs. She wants to send me back to my pulmonary team but why would they treat me any different outpatient??? She is trying to get approval for a catscan. In the meantime, I'm gasping and hoarse and overall feel like poop. Exhausted.

What is wrong with me?

singmusic4u responded:
I've been going through the same thing, except can't get admitted...NO RELIEF from anyone. The only difference is I haven't been running a fever. They've done chest x-rays and say that they're clear but yet when I try to talk you can hear they fluid and I'm hoarse as well; haven't been able to talk for a week. Told me I have asthma exacerbation, bronchitis, and upper respiratory infection. If my lungs are clear why am I gasping for air, hearing fluid rattling when I try to talk, they give me 3-4 breathing treatments, ask me if I'm supposed to be on oxygen, and if I've ever been diagnosed with COPD? It makes no sense to me whatsoever..... Hope you get some relief and feel better soon! I know exactly how you're feeling.

Helpful Tips

Remember to clean your rescue inhalerExpert
For patients using albuterol rescue inhalers, remember to wash the mouthpiece as directed. The typical recommendation is washing it once ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center