Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Strengthening Lungs after an attack
kellym39ca posted:
I have been on bed rest for the last 2 wks, but have been told to start doing stuff again. And I have, slowly with lots of rest on the in between. I have been walking, stairs, cleaning etc.

I am hoping to try and get back to work next week, even with limited duties etc.

I have not been down like this for many many years, usually up and at it within a week.

I am curious what all of you do to strengthen after an attack to get you back to normal and back to do the things you love to do.

Thanks
Kelly

amcate responded:
I act from a preventative standpoint as my education emphasized "the risk of immobilization is usually greater than the risk of mobilization". I've never had a doctor tell me to be on complete bedrest, but of course your situation may be different and by all means listen to what your doctors tell you. If I'm taking prednisone and Levaquin close together (I try to not overlap them if at all possible), there is a possibility of rupturing tendons. In that case, I try to walk every day for 20-30 minutes outside very gently and avoid all strenous exercise. However, if the exacerbation is really bad, I can't do that due to decreased stamina...so I just get up and walk around the apartment periodically as I'm able. I also try to get up from the bed and sit up to do some knitting during the day. I do that during the exacerbation itself to help mobilize secretions, prevent bed sores, and decrease risk of deep venous thrombosis. This is why most ICU nurses I know will get their patients sitting up in chair for 1-2 hours a day if at all possible even if the patient isn't walking.

I usually have some deconditioning after an exacerbation, and I build back up by walking outside gradually increasing the length of time or the slope (I live amoung hills). I also have the luxury of working on call, so I can turn down working on specific days if I want to. It I'm really deconditioned, I'll build up my work schedule gradually. I wait about a week if I took Levaquin and prednisone close together before doing any weight lifting or aggressive exercise.

I don't know if this helps you or is applicable to your situation, so disregard if it's not. I don't know how bad you get during exacerbations.

kellym39ca replied to amcate's response:
Well, first sounds like I have the wrong definition of bed rest. I still was up and about the house, but didnt go far from a chair or the couch for the last week and a half. Any great length of time and I started cough and wheezing and turning many shades of red, purple and blue!! Sleep really wasnt my friend so I didnt stay in bed anyway, I was taking meds on 2hr intervals so was always vibrating.

This was actually rather bad exacerbation, not sure if I have ever been that bad except when I was a kid where I couldnt get around or do anything.

Yea, I was always told to try and be some what activity. The long you sit around doing nothing the longer it takes to get back to normal.

Predinose ended today so I guess the next day or so will say.

Thanks for answering, I appreciated
Kelly

amcate replied to kellym39ca's response:
No problem. I don't know that you have the wrong definition. I may have misunderstood because I've worked in ICUs, and when someone in that setting says "bedrest" they mean strick bedrest, not even sitting up at the edge of the bed. It is an unusual order from the MDs, and is only done when the person is very, very unstable. Usually, they get even vent dependent patients up for a few hours to avoid the problems I discussed. So, I think it's just my misunderstanding due to my work environment.

I had a bad exacerbation like that a few years ago due to the forest fires around here. I couldn't carry my laundry to the laundry room, and the most I could do was walk to the bathroom. Fortunately, my apartment was very small, so I didn't have to walk long distances. After that, I moved to another apartment and bought a washer/dryer to put in the apartment so I wouldn't have to have dirty clothes again if the same thing happened.

I normally just walk outside to build it back up and wait a week or two and then add weight training.

Ohh forest fires just about kill me!!! Calgary usually gets all the smoke from everywhere else hahaha .. Most of the time the air is pretty good.

This time around was bad, havent been that bad since I was kid. Where could get around and do much. Yeah, been doing the walking thing where I can. Just around the house mostly, but up and moving is much better than not.

I am hoping to go back to work on Monday and will be moving more there so that will help. Going to ask for a few restrictions however.

Ahhh clean clothes, those are overrated anyway hahaha

Thanks again for answering, its been rough the last couple of weeks and just happy to know that I am not the only one out there

Kelly

I hope work went well today and I'm glad you're feeling better. I'm feeling better too...though still mild issues and for some reason not consistently green zone peak flows....but even the low peak flows are barely low. So, I'm continuing with doubling the inhaled corticosteroids hoping it will gradually improve. Anyway, glad you're doing better and back to work.

Still having issues ... made it to work the last 3days and still such a struggle to work. Not bad if not to active but ... unfortunately I dont sit behind a desk ... it just doesnt work that way.

Sorry, just frustrated!! Maybe should of taken a little more time than I did. I dont know.

Sorry, just venting. I hope you are feeling better soon too

Take Care;
Kelly

Don't worry about venting. I understand as I'm have a job that is very physically demanding. I'm borderline on whether I can work full time and I've been fired before for going through an exacerbation and having to take time off...then again, some employers will work with but they don't like when I take off. So, I could push through it, but it's very uncomfortable. Therefore, I work on call even though my sisters say I'm lazy for doing so and, "why can't you work full time?"

What I'm saying is that I understand...hope you continue to feel better.

Helpful Tips

Inhaler UseExpert
For those who use daily inhaled steroids (controller medication) make sure to rinse out your mouth with water or brush your teeth after ... More
Was this Helpful?
49 of 142 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center