Skip to content
Anyone else cough almost continuously.. and nothing seems to work?
bmwflora posted:
I am so very very tired! I was diagnosed with asthma over 30 years ago after I moved to a large city from my hometown. In the beginning, it fluctuated, but was moderate and I didn't cough too badly. Over past 20 years, my primary symptoms have been tightness in the chest .shortness of breath and COUGH!!! I am taking just about everything at this point. Spiriva helping shortness of breath and tight chest... but not the cough. I am also on advair 500/5, montelukast sodium, allegra (zytec works a little better, but interacts with other meds I take), albuterol inhaler (nebulized every night); also protonix for GERD related to asthma. No vocal chord dysfunction. About the only thing that works is prednisone... which is dangerous and they don't want to give me enough to stop the cough most of the time.. it seems to take a high dosage to stop the cough once it's really going. The pattern is that i start coughing a little at first... over the next couple of days it gets worse and worse until I am having major coughing fits throughout the day and cough almost continuously much of the night.. It is very loud and disruptive to my family, and my whole life. Sometimes I sneeze with it. I have no words to say how miserable this is making my life. When my asthma is bad (cough) I get almost no sleep; everything seems to be a trigger when it gets like this. I am getting allergy shots again (just started back up with them last month) and I am praying they will work. Seeing a Pulmonologist and an Allergy/Immunologist regularly have also seen ENT to rule out VCD, etc.
Does this sound familiar to anyone? What has worked, if anything? How do you cope and manage? I am as upbeat as I can be, but it gets so difficult after weeks of no sleep and exhausting cough!! (Add to all this Willis-Ekbom (RLS) and I REALLY don't get any sleep!) Oh, yes.. hubby thinks I have apnea, but my testing was inconclusive because I had fallen and cracked some ribs two days before the sleep test (couldn't cancel - too late) and I didn't really sleep because of the pain in my ribs! Anyway, thank you for reading this... I have never posted any of this before... Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated! There seems to be some interesting research recently that is connecting all of these auto-immune and CNS things together: Asthma, GERD, RLS (Willis-Ekbom), along with Depression (who wouldn't be depressed ?!) People who present with Asthma and Gerd are also more likely to have RLS, other CNS disorders and/or depression! Maybe they will eventually figure out that this is all connected and can then attack it as one big "syndrome" or something!

Take the Poll

I have moderate to severe asthma. Even being compliant with my medications, my primary, or most troubling, symptom is:
  • Cough
  • Shortness of Breath
  • Rightness in Chest
  • All bother me equally
  • None, the medications work most of the time.
vote
View Poll Results

Cindyabc responded:
Hi,

Sorry to hear you are coughing so much. I had the same problem last year. I am so much better now. I must start by saying that I am not a doctor so I cannot tell you if this is a normal treatment; however, I have been using N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine over a period of a year now. This is an enzyme that is the precursor to glutathione. It supports both the liver and the lung functions. It says on the bottle to take one capsule daily but at the beginning I took up to three a day for awhile. It took close to 3 weeks before I had things a lot better but felt the difference within the hour on the first dose. I am currently only taking one capsule per day and no longer cough all of the time. I do cough occasionally now and probably should increase my dose again. I do hope this helps you out. Good luck.

Cindyabc responded:
I saw the RLS after I posted...lol....I take N-Acetyl Tyrosine for this and it really helps. This is an enzyme that supports brain function. I think that when I hit stage three stress syndrome years ago, it messed up my enzymes some. Anyway, I have found that for me the tyrosine directly affects my RLS symptoms. I adjust the dose depending on how much my legs bother me. I did not start taking it for that problem though. I started taking it because the enzyme is a precursor for dopamine and that affects memory function. I could not remember things so I took this on the chance that it would help my memory and it did restore that completely. In some additional research, I discovered that RLS is generally treated with L-Dopa which is dopamine. I think I was on the right track. I personal believe this is much safer than taking L-Dopa.

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
123 of 153 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center