Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
About to start Xolair shots
An_251464 posted:
I have had allergic asthma and frequent anaphalxis for no apparent reason. All my allergy blood tests say that I'm allergic to nothing but my IGE has tested as high as 870 and as low as 370. I'm very hopefully that these shots will help keep me out of the ER and without constant sinus infections. Has anyone that has taken these shots had great success with it??

sgbl88 responded:
Hi and welcome to the community.

I have several thoughts for you.

First, many of us have found blood allergy tests to give A LOT false negatives. I would suggest that you find someone who would perform scratch testing. It is much more accurate.

Second, you may want to have your syrum triptase level tested. There are several mast cell disorders that can cause random,unexplained anaphlaxis. I had several unexplained systemic reactions this spring. The last on caused my throat to itach and feel like it was closing. My allergist ordered the test. to check for Mast Cell Activation Disorder. I have not gotten the results back yet. I did keep benadryl liquid gels very handy. Liquid benadryl would probably be better, but it is not very portable.

Also, has an of yoru doctors prescribed an Epi-Pen. It sounds like you should have one and be prepared to use it. When I had my last reaction, I got mine out and laid it on my desk. Two benadryl took care of my reaction, so I didn't need it.

About the Xolair, I highly recommend it. I have been on it for several years and not had a problem.

I hope that helps you. Please keep us posted.

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Naeredford replied to sgbl88's response:
Hey thanks for your Thoughts! I have had scratch tests done in the past and since discovered that I have dermatgraphia (sp?) in which I react to everything. That's when they did the blood testing. I was hospitalized last year because I started waking up with anaphylaxis and they determined that I had Mast Cell Activation Syndrome. My tryptase levels have shown "normal" but I still haven't gotteny local hospital to take it during an episode. When I left the hospital they told me I pretty much will be treating the symptoms for the rest of my life and that's all I could do. Also that I needed to keep checking with the oncologist to make sure it doesn't turn into the systemic mastosytosis. So when my new immunologist told me of this shot to lower my histamine level I was very excited and hopeful of its help! I would love to have a break from ER visits and epi pens!!

Helpful Tips

Remember to clean your rescue inhalerExpert
For patients using albuterol rescue inhalers, remember to wash the mouthpiece as directed. The typical recommendation is washing it once ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center