Skip to content
Asthma and allergies are overwhelming me.....
dmbeltme posted:
Hi everyone:
I just need a bit of encouragement.... I have bad allergies.. I have been taking about allergy shots and am almost at my highest dosage... About a year and a half ago I came down with bronchitis... suddenly the cough and mucus never went away... Freaking out, the doctor had chest xrays done, even though they thought it was asthma. Xrays were clear.. but I still have anxiety over all this... I have had bad sinuses, had complete sinus surgery 5 years ago... Now I continually feel like I have mucus in my bronchial tube, cough it out, then sometimes I wheeze... I have been having full fledge panic attacks over it... I do use QVAR.. but I must admit it is from time to time, and I do have a rescue inhaler.... I LOATE taking med because I am so hypersensitive to them..... .We live in the Central Valley of California... which is AG country... I am to the point of trying to find work at the coast, hoping that might help.... I am overwhelmed, tired, and just need some type of encouragement.... Will these shots even help my allergies? I am beginning to think "NO".... I hate using the rescue inhaler, have tried singular, and it did nothing...... I use a neti- pot faithfully, sometimes 3 times a day.... Just would like my life to resume without this plaguing me... Sorry to be "Debby Downer.' I am praying for a miracle and truly am learning to have compassion for all that deal with filthy allergies and asthma... I am teacher and see my students who battle with asthma... It is not fun.... Thanks for listening.....

ktlooking4support responded:
Hi, wow you have been through some stuff... I am no expert yet I understand about anxiety i have ? do they want you using the Neti pot that much? have you tryed a NEW ENT doctor... I know once you get a bad case of bronchitis the lungs like to keep that darn mucus.. im not sure i was any help.
i have acute asthma since feb 2012 only.. since dec 14-2012 I have been ER admitted with acute attacks 14 times. so I am on Xanex to keep me calm it helps..
take care.. kt.

coughy16 responded:
I started allergy shots several years ago, due to allergy triggered asthma that I couldn't get under control. I would not have started them just for the allergies (fear of needles, hate going to the dr) but with the asthma problems, I was pretty much unable to function well much of the time. It is time consuming, and I had some annoying reactions, but in the end, it was well worth all of the aggravation and trouble. It can take awhile for it to be effective, but once they started working, I got my asthma under control for the first time. I eventually have been able to reduce both my allergy and asthma meds. They do no work for everyone, but for me, they were the best thing that I did for my health!

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
123 of 153 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center