Skip to content
Advair side effects
JacS599 posted:
Hey,

I'm 29, I have cough variant asthma and exercise induced asthma. My doc gave me Advair 250/50, and it works quite well, except I get some annoying side effects.

Mainly really bad dry mouth, JITTERS (oy vey, if anything can cause jitters, I get em), and I lose my appetite.

I didn't finish my first trial run because those side effects were making me crazy. When I saw my doc for follow up, he said I could use it once a day instead of twice, but would prefer that I give it another good ol' college try. I mean it works, I don't get the morning junk in my chest as often anymore, and only get cough attacks once in a while, and I don't react with coughing every time I'm around perfumes and scents as much. Not sure what it does for my EIA yet because I was in a car accident 2 weeks ago, so haven't been hitting the treadmill while I'm recovering from seatbelt injuries to my chest, and a banged up shin and ankle (I think I kicked myself in the ankle with my own foot, lol).

Sorry, strayed from the point...

Do these side effects eventually go away? Anyone else lose their appetite on Advair?

Thanks!

jillyo responded:
Hi! I was put on Advair years ago and had very bad lightheadedness and my heart palpatating. I am now on Flo Vent and had to stop it...made me super jittery and heart racing felt like crap. I have had been having bad symptoms for the past two months of not being able to catch my breath,,,,I also changed my birth control pill and ever since then, my shortness of breath has been a mess. I have even been to the ER...and all tests come out normal. But YES, Advair can do that to u...I just read that honey and cinnamon can help w asthma symptoms....try that!

saracee responded:
I think the side effects should eventually mellow out. Have you spoken to your doc about it though? I recommend asking a professional, as they'll be the most knowledgeable. Try here: http://bit.ly/ZLIX2U

JacS599 replied to saracee's response:
After cutting down to once a day and using it regularly, the side effects are gone. I also just hit the treadmill for the first time since starting on Advair, and was FINALLY able to take deep breaths through my entire work out. I ran about 17 minutes in the hour I was on.

I tried my workout without taking Ventolin first to see what kind of a difference the Advair makes on it's own. I'm pretty happy! Got tight right near the end, and now I'm coughy and wheezy, but that's exercise asthma. So it's all good, nothing a couple puffs won't fix.

Also, since I've been using the Advair more regularly, I'm not coughing as much in general. Certain things like perfumes/scented stuff still bother me, but I'm feeling pretty good otherwise.

Not as much nastiness in my chest in the mornings either. I don't get that horrible rumble in the bottom of my lungs when I take my first big breath/yawn of the day.

gargoyle responded:
I've used Advair for many years. I never got any side effects. And it never made me lose my appetite. I wish it did. But it really helps with the coughs. I hardly cough at all. Advair is great for me.

Helpful Tips

excercise
have been working out and it seems to help me More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center