Skip to content
Inhaler use in childeren under 3
Coolhand31 posted:
My son just turned 2 a week ago and he has been on Albuterol nebulizers once a day and Flovent inhalers twice a day for about 6 months now. I have not seen any signs of asthma related symptoms other than a cough that he developed about 6 months ago over the winter. Our pediatrician has only said that is something bronchial and he is too young to say if it has anything to do with asthma but his mother is absolutely adamant that this cough is asthma even though he has never had anything like an asthma attack.
Could these inhalers be bad for him if he in fact does not have asthma, and from my research it almost seems as though it could be the flovent which is causing the persistant cough? One of the side effects is coughing.

sgbl88 responded:
It is hard to say if it is asthma or not. Many things can cause a chronic cough, so you could be correct. However, it is important for you to know that chronic cough is a symptom of asthma. Also, the "Hollywood" version of an asthma attack is a late stage symptom of asthma issues. There are many earlier stage symptoms that people frequently neglect, but it is much better to treat those symptoms than to wait for the "asthma attack".

You may want to take him to another doctor for a second opinion.

I hope that helps.

Take care.
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

gargoyle responded:
I was born with asthma and now have emphysema/COPD. I rely heavily on inhalers. When I was a child my mother used to say regarding inhalers: You need to use the inhaler to breathe for the asthma attack, but after you use the inhaler so long it can hurt your heart. I have a heart murmur now.

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center