Skip to content
what is it
An_252080 posted:
am always very short of breath. i had all the tests in 2010. the doctor was dismissive, mean, said i was anxious. i didnt go back for more testing, that was enough abuse. anyway, i got a few of those oximeters to check one against the other. some days, even when moving around, cold hands, whatever, it will be fine with both. other days (especially damp days) i will see pretty grim numbers on both, always with exertion. it usually correlates with feeling terrible. i dont even pay attention to feeling like i am suffocating, but people will say, 'you really can't breath'. i never went back to a doctor for it, i order steroid inhalers from the internet which helped a lot, now i can go for bike rides, it used to be exhausting just to talk. but often the oximeters fall to 85 just walking aroung on bad days. i dont know what to think, there is no point in having tests, they will all be normal. but 85 is really low, sometimes it's lower than that, but 93 or 90 is common. i just was hoping for some feedback.
sgbl88 responded:
It sounds like you REALLY need to find a GOOD doctor. What kind of doctor did you see before? You need to see either an allergy and asthma doctor or a pulmonologist. In general an allergist is better for asthma as they are trained to treat all asthma triggers, but it sounds like you need a pulmonologist to get a diagnosis. You may want to use to find a doctor near you. Healthgrades is a website where patients can rate their doctors on a variety of qualities.

I would recommend looking for one that is a fellow in one of the pulmonology certifying boards - American Association for Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology, or American Thoracic Society.

I hope that helps.

Feel better
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Helpful Tips

Inhaler UseExpert
For those who use daily inhaled steroids (controller medication) make sure to rinse out your mouth with water or brush your teeth after ... More
Was this Helpful?
56 of 149 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center