Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Clearing lungs before work outs.
JacS599 posted:
Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any good tips or tricks to getting gunk out before work outs?

I've just started running, and take 2 puffs of ventolin before I get going. Using the ventolin usually also loosens up gunk that's sitting in my chest, but it's not always easy to get out, and takes about 10 - 15 mins after starting my work outs before I can get good deep breaths going. Any tips on clearing it out quickly? It's mostly in my right lung.

I've heard about those flutter thingies. Do they work?

amcate responded:
I don't know of flutter thingies. I normally wait 20 min after taking rescue medicine before working out. If the inhaler isn't working very well, then I use the nebulizer to help get the gunk out since it does a better job opening the lungs than the inhaler does.

JacS599 replied to amcate's response:
I don't have bad enough asthma to require a nebulizer, maybe I'll just wait an extra few minutes, or maybe walk a bit longer before I begin to run.

I'm able to run 10 straight minutes now, and then 20 total within a 40 minute work out.

I can't believe I went most of my life thinking I couldn't run because I was over weight and lazy, when it was really asthma that was keeping me on the couch. I'm so thankful for my current doc! Haha. I always knew there was an active person trapped inside an inactive person who just couldn't breathe well.

amcate replied to JacS599's response:
Congratulations on your accomplishments. Allegists have normally told me to give rescue inhalers 20 minutes to work. Ask your doctor, but another possible course of action would be to take 4 inhalations instead of 2....but whether that's safe depends on other medical things going on with you...so ask your doctor.

Helpful Tips

help to ease your asthma
been having asthma for more that 20 years, but it took some time for the right diagnostic, they were trying to cure me for alergys, and of ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center