Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Asthma or anxiety
katzcats posted:
Hi. Need some help and advice on what is going on and how best to treat it. I am partly disabled. I work in a job with the employer who caused my disability several yrs ago. It has always been high stress and a hostile work environment since they do not like my disability but nobody will hire me. Two yrs ago I was cut to part time. There are times that I have anxiety attacks...stomache in knots, sweaty, dizzy, tingly arms, and difficulty breathing. I recognize them for what they are and usually I am breathing too fast and have to slow it down. Other times I have issues feeling like I am not getting enough oxygen when I breath and there is no reason. There are times I go outside in the moist air after it has rained and it feels like I cant breath fully.

Last week, I started having allergies when the fires started. Few days past and things improved. Then I got laringitis! No sore throat, no extreme allergy, or viral symptoms. I get laringitis usually once a yr in the winter and it usually has viral symptoms...don't get it in the summer. I started complaining to a coworker that I felt as if I couldn't get enough oxygen that first day and my body just ached. The next day, still no voice and still not getting enough oxygen. Then it rained and I walked outside and my breath was sucked out of me. I wheezed all night. My family has a history of asthma in adults but I have never been diagnosed. I have no medical insurance..my employer cut that too when they made us part time. Went to the low income clinic even though I stopped wheezing in the morning. He said I was discribing an asthma attack and probably had it mildly but had never been diagnosed. He gave me steroid for four day and I almost immediately improved while on them and for a1-2 days after.

The problem is that my employer started putting me in front of the door for an hr or so at night when we have been on alert for high particulates due to the many fires around us. At night is when are air tend to be filled with smoke because the winds blow it over the mountains...It has been thick like fog and you can't see the mountains just a few miles from us. When they do that, I start wheezing again. It not a loud wheezing and I don't know if anyone else could hear it. Just I sound like I have a leaky intertube with the occasional whistling. I end up having issues all night and the clinic is not open nights.

Two days ago we had good air for most of the evening and I didn't wheeze at work or have any breathing issues until I went outside and we were thick with smoke. That was a noisy night! Yesterday we had clean air period and I was fine until I found out that work cut my hrs to where I can't make rent, food, or bills. I am already done to one meal a day because of finances and cant cut any more. I started having an anxiety attack...feeling shaky, sweaty, dizzy, and breathing too fast. I tried to slow down breathing but the anxiety seemed to trigger an asthma attack...Now I am breathing slower but wheezing and can't get enough air breathing normally. I was up to wee hrs wheezing, coughing, and with a headache. I get headaches when the coughing and wheezing start. It was a very noisy night.

I know the difference between an anxiety attack and asthma attack. The one I have had most of my life and controlled without meds...I grew up with OCD that I learned to control on my own under threat of being locked up in a mental institution by parents who didn't understand why germs and washing my hands were such big issues. That is always in back of head but I deal with it without much thought unless Im over stressed, or ill! It seems to me that I am having asthma which is triggered by moist air, smoke, and stress/anxiety. The question is when I go back to doctor, would it be wise to seek meds for the anxiety because work is now at breaking point and def. triggering asthma. Do I invest in inhaler, or anxiety meds?

Helpful Tips

Remember to clean your rescue inhalerExpert
For patients using albuterol rescue inhalers, remember to wash the mouthpiece as directed. The typical recommendation is washing it once ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center