Skip to content
Abroad/ Asthma and Infection/ What to do
sara881 posted:
In April of this year I was diagnosed with basically severe asthma, after previously having bad allergies and maybe some slight asthmatic symptoms in the past. I'm 21, and currently studying abroad in rural Panama. For the past two weeks I've been working in an extremely rural hospital where I have been in contact with people who have tuberculosis and bacterial pneumonia, among other things. This past week I've been feeling sick, and like I can't breathe well. Two days ago I felt like I had a fever and a lot of breathing problems, a major wheezing cough, shortness of breath. [br>[br>Yesterday I went to the local ER (that's pretty much the only option here rather than a doctor's office) and they told me my lungs were really bad, extremely tight. They started me on a nebulizer and the next thing I knew they were giving me shots of adrenaline and started me on an IV with hydrocortisone and antibiotic. My blood work showed that I had some sort of infection, but they didn't say what type. [br>[br>They gave me prescriptions for an antiviral, an antibiotic (zithromax), and a bronchodilator. I return to the US on thursday, and I'm not sure what to do. I don't feel well and because of where I am, I can't take a hot shower, can't really easily get anything. No tea, etc, and the family I'm living with is very loud. My face is also really flushed. What do I do and what could I have?

Bobbie1717 responded:
Hello Sara881, I too am Asthmatic. I was diagnosed many years ago. I have taken Zithromax many times for treating my Asthma. If the doctor feels that you have an infection, such as a cold etc, they normally put Asthmatics on the Z pack as it is called here in the US a lot, another name for Zithromax.
From what you have posted, you seem to be having an infection(respiratory) and it is trigging your Asthma. You are on the right medications. Do you have a rescue inhaler and a preventive medication?
I would be sure to see your doctor upon returning home. If you are able to see a pulmonary doctor, that would be best.

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
123 of 153 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center