Skip to content
Grandson help
dshepster posted:
I have a grandson that just turned 6. He was diagnosed with asthma last fall. Almost every week last summer I would pick him up from daycare a day a week and he would spend time with us (5-6hrs). Mom lived with her parents. Right before school started, first year of kindergarden, She moved in with her boyfriend. Not long after, he began to get sick and was eventually diagnosed with asthma. She was given a list of things to avoid and identified allergies. He was sick alot, almost didn't make it to first grade due to so many missed days of school. About a month before school let out, she moved back in with her parents and still lives there now. And he is much better.

He's not allowed to our house because my wife smokes. Now my wife is a VERY concientiuos smoker. She smokes ONLY in front of an exaust fan that vents outside and would never smoke around our grandson. At anytime you could walk in our house and you would never know a smoker lived there. Mom also took the list,very long, of things to avoid to heart, she avoids all 150%, So the kid pretty much lives in a bubble. I've always thought that something in the boyfriends house or at school was the main trigger, and now that she is no longer there, he is doing MUCH better.
I guess I'm looking for some advice. We've only gotten to see our grandson 3 times since Christmas and miss him dearly. Last time we saw him my son was helping him climb a tree and mom freaked cause walking in the woods was on the list of things to avoid. He has never been sick around us and we miss him terribly. Could it be the boyfriends house? Weather? Any advice from mom's on how to work with his mom so she is more comfortable?

Bobbie1717 responded:
I am Asthmatic. I can not be around any cigarette smoke, or a place where someone has been smoking indoors. Even though smoking near a vent, you still have the smell of smoke and nicotine on your body, your clothing, your walls and basically in your home. Standing near a vent does not get rid of the harmful chemicals.
I think if you were to make sure to clear your home of all chemicals, washing down your walls, washing your curtains and bedding, totaling ridding your home of the odor of nicotine, you may be able to prove to your family member that you have a safe place for your grandchild to visit. An Asthma attack is upsetting, a person is struggling to breathe, and an attack can be fatal. Nobody wants to risk that. I hope the best for your family.

dshepster replied to Bobbie1717's response:
Thanks for the reply. This is a very powerfull exhaust vent and as I said, you can walk in the house at anytime and not smell smoke(I'm a non smoker). having said that, I hear what you're saying. And I don't want to make him have an attack either. Before he was diangnosed, last fall, he would even spend the night with no issues, no he is not allowed over at all. Sorry for my ignorance, but can a person be fine and then everything change?

dshepster replied to dshepster's response:
And on more question. would an attack be evident fairly soon. ie. if comes over for a couple hours, should we expect to see symptoms before he leaves? Could they not be evident until the next day?

Bobbie1717 replied to dshepster's response:
You aren't ignorant. Not at all, this is new for you to deal with. A person can be fine one minute and in dire trouble the next minute.
My breathing gets really bad at times, depending on where I am and who I am around, if I become stressed out....etc.
I developed Asthma as an adult due to smoking for 30 something years.
Your grandchild will be healthier if everyone in his life became more knowledgeable about Asthma. Take a class and see what you can learn about it. Most hospitals have classes for free. Good luck.

Bobbie1717 replied to dshepster's response:
I nearly forgot to tell you something else: An Asthmatic will have a reaction to something even if there is no odor.

amcate replied to dshepster's response:
Asthmatic triggers are like putting water into a glass. You put in a little here and a little there. Finally, the glass is full and there is an attack. It may take a few days for the glass to become full, and so it is possible that if there is a trigger in your home it may contribute to an attack the next day if it is combined with other triggers.

Helpful Tips

excercise
have been working out and it seems to help me More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center