Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Detecting asthma problems
An_252774 posted:
I recently had a severe asthma attack & it happened out of the blue - no warning signs whatsoever, at least none that I noticed. I rarely have asthma problems at all. I went to the asthma doctor & had the spirometry test & nitric oxide test with not good results.
Just wondering what I should do to detect a coming problem in the future because it really scared me. My doctor has never said anything about getting a peak flow meter, but I was thinking of getting one of those. I was also reading about the fingertip pulse oximeters, are those helpful & should I get one? Then, I was also reading online about a handheld sensor that predicts asthma attacks by detecting nitric oxide, but haven't seen anywhere to buy one. What do you use or what can you recommend for me? It will give me some piece of mind. Thanks!

sgbl88 responded:
Hi,

Welcome to the community.

I would suggest that you start with a few articles. There are many symptoms you may have had, but did not realize they are signs of asthma problems. Here is a link:

http://www.webmd.com/asthma/guide/unusual_asthma-symptoms

There are links to other articles on WebMD on that page.

A peak flow meter is the preferred method of predicting impending asthma issues by doctors. It is good to get one and measure YOUR peak flow. The charts are based on norms which may be unrelated to you personally. They do provide a good place to start. After you have established your best peak flow, you can determine zones as follows:

Green: 80% to 100% - healthy
Yellow: 50% to 80% - Take care of yourself
Red: less than 50% - get to a hospital

For most people a pulse oxymeter is not very useful. Lowered oxygen level is usually a late stage flare symptom. Some people experience low oxygen as an early sign, but that is unusual.

For me peak flow and symptom monitoring are the best signs that I need to watch myself.

I hope that helps you some.
Take care and stay healthy.

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

sgbl88 replied to sgbl88's response:
Hi,
Here is another page for you to reference.

http://www.webmd.com/asthma/guide/default.htm

I hope they help.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

An_252774 replied to sgbl88's response:
Thank you for answering & for the information! I've ordered a peak flow meter. Asthma seems much better after the new medicine my doctor gave me, but I still have little moments of worry.

kingsleyke responded:
Really informative. Is there any researches that detect the asthma problems?

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
121 of 151 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center