Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Asthma,Allergies & Severe Scoliosis
Krystian13 posted:
I'm 20 years old and have been suffering from asthma for over 14 years. My asthma go so bad that my lungs began to shut down and i was put on numerous different steroids. Well finally my doctor put me on xolair to help "control" my asthma. Unfortunately there are two other factors that make my asthma worse. I suffer from bad allergies (trees, grass, mold, mildew, cats, etc.) and I also have severe scoliosis that has caused the bottom of my left lung to be slightly crushed. I feel like i have stressed all the options that i have at home when i have an asthma attack. I normally take 2 nebulizer treatments, take my rescue inhaler, and drink black coffee...and yet i still feel very tired, continue to cough and wheeze. My local emergency room is tired of seeing me in there for asthma problems... What else am i to do?

lisabcool responded:
Krystian13-- I am sorry it took me 11 months to find this post. I may not be the person to offer you all of the advice because I, too, suffer from the same symptoms. I have a 37 degree curve after having surgery. I believe I've always had asthma. But, it is only made worse by allergies and the invasion into my left lung. I was looking for support because I have had pneumonia and bronchitis within the past 6 months. It seems like I keep on getting sick over and over again.... Here is my action plan. Hopefully, it helps. I am on Singulair and Allegra for allergies. I am on a steroid inhailer symacort for maintenance. I also do a nebulizer up to two times a day. Right now, I am on 50 mg of prednizone, suped up cough syrup and antibiotics because I also have a double ear infection (life sucks sometimes!).

1. We just got rid of our cats of 14 years. I've had mine ever since graduating college in 2000.
2. I am taking vitamin supplements that helps fight body inflammation. My idea is this... If your body is inflamed, your lungs are only going to get worse when exposed to an allergen. I am doing my vitamin through meleleuca but I am sure you can find them all over the internet.
3. Dang nabit. I have to exercise. Walking fast to get the heart rate up and push those lungs.
4. One thing that really helped me when I was younger was playing the french horn. I think this kept me off of breathing treatments in high school. I am thinking about picking it up again and trying to blow my way to stronger lungs.
5. I also take decongestant on occassion to airways open.

I hope this helps. I am honestly looking for that magic answer, too. Prednisone seems to be my miracle drug. But, I know it isn't good to be on it permanently. Please reply back if you get this and let me know how you are doing-- my fellow scoleosis sister.

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
121 of 151 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center