Skip to content
Sonya-sbgl
coughy16 posted:
I have a friend who is scheduled for aspirin desensitization in November. I went back and read your posts, but I didn't see one about the process itself and what it was like. Could you post some info about that and I will direct my friend to it? She would probably love to talk with you, but I cant find a way to have a private conversation or send a private message with contact info on here, do you know if it is possible to do?

sgbl88 responded:
Gladly Sue,

Feel free to ask any question you feel I do not answer clearly. My disposable email address is sgbl9397-health@yahoo.com. I would be glad to talk with your friend privately as well. Posting of emails that are not personally identifying are allowed.

Similar to allergy testing, most patients have to stop all allergy medication including all leukotriene moderators (Singulair, Accolate, and Zyflo). When the patient has already been diagnosed with AERD, the doctor may allow the patient to stay on these medications. I was fortunate to be allowed to stay on them.

Do you know where your friend will be going through the procedure? Some doctors will do it in a hospital setting, others in their office if is well equipped to handle treatment of severe reactions.

There are generally two phases in the process. Most patients will go through a diagnosis phase first which involves several tiny doses of aspirin where the patient is closely monitored for a reaction. The doses start very tiny at 1/4 or less of a baby aspirin and slowly increase. If the patient does not have a reaction in the test phase, they will be released with a negative diagnosis. If they do have a reaction, they will move into the treatment phase which involves treating the reaction with breathing treatments and other necessary treatments.

Once the reaction is under control, the next successive dose of aspirin will be administered. Followed with monitoring and treatment of any reaction. This process continues through the doctor's chosen treatment plan which is one o two options. First is a single day treatment which involves treatment until one full, cumulative adult dose of aspirin has been administered. The second is a one or two day treatment in which a full adult dose is tolerated as a single dose.

I hope your friend has been diagnose with AERD already and will be able to stay on meds through treatment. I had been diagnosed before based on a history of reactions to ibuprofin, time line of disease progression. I was told that it greatly reduces the reaction if you are positive. Reactions include the general severe allergy and asthma reactions - short of breath, wheezing, tightness, flushing... Mine were mild compared to what they could have been.

Reactions do become less severe as treatment progresses. PFTs will also increase through out treatment. The worst for me was the headache (combination of migraine and sinus).

That is about all I can think of for now. feel free to ask or email me if you have more questions.

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

coughy16 replied to sgbl88's response:
Sonya, thanks so much, I am going to pass this along to them. they are both having trouble logging in to the boards. The one that is already scheduled is I think going to UVA. And I do think she has been diagnosed, so hopefully that will help her!

sgbl88 replied to coughy16's response:
You are very welcome. I am glad to help in any way I can. If you have been diagnosed and stay on meds, the procedure is not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. I hope your friend does get to stay on meds.

Feel free to email any questions either of you have as well.

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
123 of 153 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center