Skip to content
Just diagnosed with asthma but I think the Dr. is being overly cautious?
Kiefer101 posted:
I had the methacholine breathing test done a few weeks ago. I only got to the 2nd strength (.25) of the methacholine and my breathing dropped to -25%. I also had 4 IgE blood tests done (cats, dogs, chinchillas, and guinea pigs) the results the Dr. said were all over 600 which "wow'ed" him.... I was put on symbicort 2 puffs 2x/day and I get jittery which I see is a common side effect and I have been taking it for 5 days now. My Dr. only gave me the maintenance drug not an emergency inhaler.

My confusion is that: 1. I have been having these allergy induced asthma attacks since I was little thinking it was just my allergies and nothing more. But I only have the attacks if I stir up dust i.e. vaccuming, dusting, cleaning guinea pig and chinchilla cages and giving the chinchillas their dust baths. 2. these attacks have only given me shortness of breath and tightness in my chest. No wheezing or any other symptoms. I didnt really think it was a huge deal that I just had shortness of breath and tightness of chest. 3. I dont have physical reactions to my dogs or cats (when I was little cats would make my eyes swell shut but nothing more). My guinea pigs gave me hives as did the chins but the chins dust baths were the worst for my lungs. How are my IgE's through the roof with no physica symptoms? The Dr. said with those numbers my body is constantly inflamed and I need to get rid of all my animals. I have had these types of animals for ~10+ years and have not had my symptoms getting worse.

Anyway I feel I might need a second opinion. I don't have any issues breathing from day to day. Just when I clean cages and I prepare for those days by wearing a tea towel dampened over my mouth and nose the whole time I'm cleaning cages. I shower immediately after while the dust is settling in the room. I think I should have an emergency inhaler for days when my asthma attacks. I don't want to take a steroid twice a day every day. I already have a nasal steroid spray once a day....

I was on immunotherapy for the last 2 years and have discontinued it because of little change.

amcate responded:
I don't know if the doctor is being overly cautious. I agree that you need a rescue inhaler. I would ask the doctor if he agrees as well.

You can also use surgical masks to avoid contact with the allergens.

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
122 of 152 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center