Skip to content
Asthma and Ice Cream
PJohn posted:
Just signed up. Daughter has Asthma. Read in Prescription for Nutritional Healing.by Phyllis A. Balch Recommedations: Do not eat ice cream or drink extremely cold drinks. Cold can shock the bronchial tubes into spasms. Does anyone have more information?

choo_chu responded:
If I eat a slushie drink, like a Frappicino or bobo drink, or if I drink something cold after I run, I start coughing really bad and have to use my rescue inhaler. I've heard different reasons why that happens to some people. I've heard that the cold air from the cold food/drink irritates your airways and causes an asthma attack, just like breathing in cold air. I've also heard that cold food/drinks can cause normal people to cough, but coughing itself can cause an asthma attack if you have asthma. Regardless of the reason why it happens, it's best to avoid cold food/drinks if they give you asthma attacks.

amcate responded:
Triggers for each asthmatic are different. As a general rule of thumb, though, cold air is a trigger for asthma. In my case, if I go outside and it's cold, I have to wear a scarf over my mouth and nose to warm the air. However, the cold air around ice cream and cold drinks has never been enough to cause me any problems, so I don't limit them. It's a matter of your daughter experimenting with what her individual triggers are.

galaaday responded:
When I was younger I would have problems eating ice cream. It would make me cough and get very tight, not every time, just when I was somewhat borderline; not quite sick, not quite well.

Helpful Tips

excercise
have been working out and it seems to help me More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center