Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Asthma Help
An_254356 posted:
Hi all. I've been having a lot of trouble lately and wanted to seek some advice. I live in Los Angeles and am by a highway which I know is probably a terrible idea, but anyway since the weather has gotten a bit colder I've noticed my asthma acting up a lot more. I take Symbicort twice a day and sometimes take Zyrtec because I do have allergies, but it makes me tired so I try to avoid it.

Do you guys think I should get a humidifier? Is there any sort of diet change or supplements that could help? I am pretty active though I'm ramping it up lately doing yoga at least 3x/week.

amcate responded:
Asthma is different for each individual. I find I breath best between 20-40% humidity, but not everyone is like that. You have to experiment and see what works for you. If you know you have mold or dust mite allergies, it's best to keep the humidity lower than 40%.

Best of luck.

choo_chu responded:
amcate is right...asthma is different for each person. I'm also very active (run, swim, cycle and hike) and I find it more difficult in colder weather. When it's cold out, humidity isn't much of a factor for me, unless the humidity is really high. When it's hot out, humidity becomes more of an issue, and I start having problems when the humidity hits around 60-65%, or drops below about 15%.

I don't know of any diet changes or supplements that help with asthma, but a healthy diet will help you feel better in general. Getting adequate sleep each night will also help you feel better. Becoming more active will help you. The more active I am, the less easily my exercised-induced asthma seems to be triggered. That may be the case for you, too, I don't know.

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
121 of 151 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center