Skip to content
Recovery Question
An_254426 posted:
I recently spent 10 days in Italy and while I was there I inhaled an enormous amount of secondhand cigarette smoke. I tired to avoid it as much as possible but they smoke so much over there and do not have the same restrictions that we have in the U.S.

I have had Asthma for years but it is only usually triggered during exercise or with a cold. However, while in Italy I had several asthma symptoms, constant cough and tightening in my chest and mucus build up.

I have been back for 3 days now but I am still having difficulty with my Asthma. I have less mucus now, typcially I am only experiencing that in the morning/evening. However, I feel as if my chest is tighter now than it was when I was in Italy.

Does anyone have experience with recovery from short-term secondhand smoke? Is it normal for this to take several days? I have been taking my albuterol inhaler, which I typically only need when I am sick with a bad cold, twice a day and even when I take it I still have a tight chest.

I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions.
Thank you

amcate responded:
Every asthmatic is different. For me, it normally takes a few weeks and in similar situations resolves without increasing the controller medicines. The important thing is if the albuterol is still working for at least 4 hours. I don't know if you have a peak flow meter, but if you do and it increased by about 10% 20 minutes after taking albuterol, then it's working.

If you notice it's not working as well as normal, then I would see your doctor to see if they want to increase some medicines temporarily.

Good luck.

Helpful Tips

Inhaler UseExpert
For those who use daily inhaled steroids (controller medication) make sure to rinse out your mouth with water or brush your teeth after ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 143 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center