Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My first BT procedure
anitadmngz posted:
Hello, I wanted to let others know of my experience with because there is not all whole lot out there that explained what it was like to have this procedure-Bronchial Thermoplasty. I am a 34 years old and disabled due to severe persistant asthma. I first wanted to start out with what my symptoms were like prior to my first procedure that took place on 12/4/13. I experience daily asthma symptoms to include shortness of breath, wheezing, fatigue, dizziness. I've had to use rescue medications- Duonebs at least every 3-6 hour daily to keep me from having to go to the ER. I take several medications: Brovana, Spiriva, Budesonide, Singulair, Theophylline, and Prednisone 60mg daily. I have taken prednisone daily for about the last 5 months. I have been to the emergency room at least 10 times this year with 6 resulting in hospitalization. I have been approved by medicare to have the BT procedure since August 2013 but I haven't been controlled enough to get scheduled for it until now.

Day of the procedure was a bit scary but after it was all done with I felt pretty good. They used conscious sedation- Fentanyl and Versed. I had some cough post procedure and a little bit of pink tinged mucous when I blew my nose but that was it, I didn't have any irritation in my nose or throat. I am now two days post procedure and am still experiencing a small amount of pleural pain. Yesterday I was really wheezy (I thought I was going to have to go to the ER) but thankfully I feel much better today. I am still doing breathing treatments about every 4 hours. My next procedure ( 2nd BT ) will be in 3 weeks. I will post once I have that procedure done.

Helpful Tips

Inhaler UseExpert
For those who use daily inhaled steroids (controller medication) make sure to rinse out your mouth with water or brush your teeth after ... More
Was this Helpful?
49 of 142 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center