Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Difficulty exhaling after starting new meds
lmlondon posted:
Hi,

I have had asthma since i was a child (now 30), never smoked and have lived a healthy lifestyle. Slightly underweight and exercise regularly.

I recently started to increase my steroid medication after undergoing peak flow tests and asthma reviews. After I had a spirometric test however my doctor switched me to Symbicort 200 (1-4 doses twice daily) this week. In the first few days of taking symbicort, i felt different and my breathing felt slightly different. My peak flow increased slightly (from about 420 to 460ish - it raises in summer to approx 600). I've been feeling quite drowsy, slow and my breathing feels much slower. What concerns me is that when i exhale, i feel as if i need to push air out of the lungs. Almost as if i am not exhaling fully. I've never experienced this before so not sure what it could be. Inhaling is fine even during exercise and no wheezing.

I'm worried there may be an obstruction (copd?). If this is the case though, why did i not feel it before. (I was taking Seretide 500 twice daily before.)

What i am unsure about is whether i am reacting to the new medication? Or if this is normal and my lungs are just adapting to the better breathing created by the new meds. I have had a spirometric test which showed mild residual obstruction but i never physically felt this whilst breathing.

So, has anyone had similar experiences with Symbicort and if so, did they settle down and change over time? Should I be worried? I don't want to waste my Doctor's time if this is just normal....

Sorry for the long message!

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
121 of 151 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center