Skip to content
What is this?
sdkitty81 posted:
Hi, I'm a 32 year old female. About 8 years ago I was exercising with a personal trainer with I got a really bad burning sensation in my back and chest. Since that day, the burning pain has not stopped. It comes and goes, but I feel it almost every day.
I've been to several doctors that say it cannot be my lungs and it must be my back.
I've had 3 breathing tests (I'll get to this later), the first two were declared 'normal'.
Finally out of desperation I went to a new asthma doctor last month. He had me take a breathing test and the results were: FEV 93%, FVC 100% and FEF 25 75 was 73%. He seemed really worried about the FEF and gave me a breathing treatment. It did *not* reverse. The number was actually slightly lower after the treatment.
He put me on QVAR, sent me for a chest x-ray and scheduled me with a pulmonologist.
I get really worried about health related things so I've been upset about this. I took everything to my family doctor today and she said it seems it could be COPD. (I've never smoked a day in my life). The chest xray showed 'mild interstitial changes from an xray in 2007.
I should mention the QVAR took the back/chest burning pain away 100% so it was a lung related problem.
I'm just wondering if anyone has had a finding like that on x-ray or if anyone has a FEF 25 75 that could not be reversed with a breathing treatment? It is possible it can still be asthma with that kind of finding? I don't see the lung doctor for awhile and I will be worried until then.
I should also mention the 2nd breathing test I had two years ago also had the same results (The FEF 25 75 was even lower and was not reversed) but the doctor declared my PFT as 'normal' and told me I did not have asthma. I only saw the numbers when I requested my report so I could compare the numbers to the newest report.

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
123 of 153 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center