Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
COPD, Asthma
koony55 posted:
Question: My sister has been diagnosed with COPD, Asthma, and was prescribed Symbicort 2 puffs 2 times a day, Proventil 2 puffs every 4 hours, and Asmanex Twisthaler 1 puff 2 times a day. There is one other inhaler Albuterol. My question is are all these inhaler safe together. Just looks like a lot to me. Just concerned and hope you can put my mind at ease.

Thank in Advance

amcate responded:
I can't really answer your question on if the inhalers are safe together except to say that all safety is relative. You have to ask what is the alternative, and is the alternative safer? Depending on how bad her asthma is, it might be more unsafe to let the asthma go uncontrolled than to take the medicines.

I take a lot of prednisone, which is a drug with a lot of safety concerns that are well documented. But, if I don't it, then I'm dead from asthma. So, it's more safe for me to take the prednisone than to not take it and risk an asthma related death.

However, I don't know enough about those medicines to say for sure.

cwille responded:
first have her ask her doctor, if they are honest and trustworthy than i wouldn't worry, i am also on 2 different inhalers but also nebulizer treatments everybody is different, but you have to see what benifits there are , albuterol makes me real shaky, symbicort gives me leg and foot cramps, and the asmanax didn't help me at all, so you see it is all a shot in the dark, but always ask the doc, write down your questions so you don't forget, happens to me a lot if i don't write them down, maybe doing nebulizer is better for her good luck

biancalthompson responded:
I don't think anyone can definitely answer your question except her doctor. Everyone is different and Asthma as well as COPD can change over time.

I have moderate asthma that isn't entirely controlled. I am now on Dulera, Flonase, Proventil, and Singular. I have used all the medications you have listed at some point to treat my asthma. Asmanex contains only a corticosteroid steroid, Symbicort is a combination of a steroid and bronchodilator. Proventil is a brand of albuterol that is a short acting bronchodilator, it is typically a rescue inhaler in asthmatic patients.

koony55 responded:
I would like to thank you for taking the time to give me your input on this I was often wondering was anyone else taking more than one medication. I have been taking to her and she says she feel better with them. I guess that was my love for her asking. Thanks Again.

amcate replied to koony55's response:
Allergists I've seen through the years will often prescribe multiple medicines if they are trying to keep me off of prednisone. That is the one with the greatest long term risks. They also try to decrease the medicines periodically in order to have me take the lowest dosage necessarily to keep me controlled. If it doesn't work, then they increase the medicines again.

As already mentioned, though, it's best to ask her doctors.

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center