Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Asthma does effect my running, but in a good way.
rometotoartz posted:
I recently have been diagnosed with Allergy induced Asthma. I noticed stress and laughing would trigger it. I found that running and other exercise triggered it when I hadn't been active over a period of time like over winter or something, then started again it acted up at first, but then after exercising and running through it over the next day or so, it actually helped it. I am currently not as stressed out as much, so it has settled down and have not had any attacks. But it's good to know that i can hit the pavement and breathe just fine.

choo_chu responded:
I'm glad your asthma doesn't affect your running. It really only affects my running if I'm having problems in general, like allergies or a cold, or I don't use my inhaler before I run. For some reason, running seems to trigger my asthma more easily than swimming and biking. I know it doesn't have anything to do with me being out of shape because I train all year and have been doing so for a long time.

I have to admit, the activity does help my asthma on the whole. I've been active my entire life, except for a short time when I moved cross-country to be with my husband, and my asthma got totally out of control due to allergies. I started allergy shots and within 4-6 months, I was able to start training again. While I was having problems with my asthma, I still exercised, only it was more moderate activities, like walking.

People will tell me, "You have asthma and you do triathlons and marathons? I don't even have asthma and I don't do all that." But really, I think people who have (mild to moderate) asthma can do pretty much whatever they want, as long as they're trained. And I think the activity helps with asthma control.

Happy trails!

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
121 of 151 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center