Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Looking for Asthma Specialist in SE Michigan
    msteve4 posted:
    I am looking for recommendations for an asthma specialist in the western suburbs of the Detroit metro area. I want to find someone who is experienced in helping patients evaluate and manage exercise induced asthma. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has a recommendation based upon their own experiences with the doctor.
    sgbl88 responded:
    Hi, I am sorry, but we cannot talk about specific doctors on the site. Below is a link where you can find a specialist close to you using several search methods. I would recommend you select one with a fellowship in the organization.

    You can also use to research how patients feel about the doctor.

    I hope that helps you.
    Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]
    msteve4 replied to sgbl88's response:

    I find it disappointing that specific doctors can not be discussed. It is just further evidence of how non-consumer friendly the medical profession seems to be. But I will respect the rules. I just hope that if someone does have a recommendation for me they would let me know and perhaps they would be willing to find a way to share it with me through another way (email or otherwise).

    I appreciate your suggestions, but unfortunately they are not helpful. I have already used those services and have found two main shortcomings with them. 1) They do not allow you to find a doctor that either specializes in, or identifies as having specific experience with, exercise induced asthma. And, more frustrating, when you do contact doctors asking about their experience and what specific evaluations they would do for exercise induced asthma they do not provide you with any specifics. They basically just say that they would be "happy to see you and just call the office to schedule an appointment."

    Not helpful, and very frustrating. That is why I am looking for a recommendation based on someone's real life experiences addressing the same medical issue.
    sgbl88 replied to msteve4's response:
    That is why I suggested looking for a specialist with a fellowship. Additional education and continuing education is required to obtain and maintain a fellowship. Any asthma specialist with a fellowship should be very well versed in the special needs of exercise induced asthma.

    Good luck,
    Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]
    amcate replied to msteve4's response:
    I don't know your area, but in my area there are no specific evaluations for exercise induced asthma versus other types of asthma. They normally do the general asthma tests, take a history, get a family history, then give instructions for how to manage exercise induced asthma. The reason why a front office person can't say what specific evaluations would be performed is because they aren't qualified for that. You have to be seen by the doctor or physician assistant or nurse practitioner who will then decide based on their assessment. Not all tests are appropriate for all individuals.

    Typically, the tests are spirometry before and after rescue medicines, allergy tests, challenge tests, CT scans of the sinuses, chest X-rays, listening to the lungs, and exhaled nitric oxide on the objective side. On the subjective side is symptom history and family history. I've never seen a test that is objective and specific to exercise induced asthma versus other forms of asthma.

    The typical instructions for exercise induced asthma are to take the rescue medicines 30 minutes prior to exercise, take more during exercise as needed, and avoid exercise in cold, dry air. I don't know if these instructions are appropriate in your individual case, though.

    Normally, the board certified Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology folks are the most specific to asthma. Pulmonologist know something about it, but are usually best at ruling out other pulmonology conditions, in my experience.

    I'm not familiar with the policy of not talking about specific doctors. Normally, I'll talk about a specific doctor, but will say something like, "my new PCP" or "the pulmonologist I saw said...." without mentioning their name.

    I understand you're wanting to know if there is anyone who does objective testing on exercise induced asthma versus other forms of asthma, but I've never heard of such a thing. I have exercise induced asthma and normally the doctor I see who is board certified in Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology deals with it....but they don't specifically deal only with exercise induced asthma, but they deal with all types of asthma.
    atti_editor responded:
    You might also find this article on exercise-induced asthma, which includes some home treatment options similar to what amcate described in her reply, helpful.

    Best wishes,

    Helpful Tips

    Asthma InhalersExpert
    There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    128 of 159 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center