Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Looking for Asthma Specialist in SE Michigan
msteve4 posted:
I am looking for recommendations for an asthma specialist in the western suburbs of the Detroit metro area. I want to find someone who is experienced in helping patients evaluate and manage exercise induced asthma. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has a recommendation based upon their own experiences with the doctor.
sgbl88 responded:
Hi, I am sorry, but we cannot talk about specific doctors on the site. Below is a link where you can find a specialist close to you using several search methods. I would recommend you select one with a fellowship in the organization.

You can also use to research how patients feel about the doctor.

I hope that helps you.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]
msteve4 replied to sgbl88's response:

I find it disappointing that specific doctors can not be discussed. It is just further evidence of how non-consumer friendly the medical profession seems to be. But I will respect the rules. I just hope that if someone does have a recommendation for me they would let me know and perhaps they would be willing to find a way to share it with me through another way (email or otherwise).

I appreciate your suggestions, but unfortunately they are not helpful. I have already used those services and have found two main shortcomings with them. 1) They do not allow you to find a doctor that either specializes in, or identifies as having specific experience with, exercise induced asthma. And, more frustrating, when you do contact doctors asking about their experience and what specific evaluations they would do for exercise induced asthma they do not provide you with any specifics. They basically just say that they would be "happy to see you and just call the office to schedule an appointment."

Not helpful, and very frustrating. That is why I am looking for a recommendation based on someone's real life experiences addressing the same medical issue.
sgbl88 replied to msteve4's response:
That is why I suggested looking for a specialist with a fellowship. Additional education and continuing education is required to obtain and maintain a fellowship. Any asthma specialist with a fellowship should be very well versed in the special needs of exercise induced asthma.

Good luck,
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]
amcate replied to msteve4's response:
I don't know your area, but in my area there are no specific evaluations for exercise induced asthma versus other types of asthma. They normally do the general asthma tests, take a history, get a family history, then give instructions for how to manage exercise induced asthma. The reason why a front office person can't say what specific evaluations would be performed is because they aren't qualified for that. You have to be seen by the doctor or physician assistant or nurse practitioner who will then decide based on their assessment. Not all tests are appropriate for all individuals.

Typically, the tests are spirometry before and after rescue medicines, allergy tests, challenge tests, CT scans of the sinuses, chest X-rays, listening to the lungs, and exhaled nitric oxide on the objective side. On the subjective side is symptom history and family history. I've never seen a test that is objective and specific to exercise induced asthma versus other forms of asthma.

The typical instructions for exercise induced asthma are to take the rescue medicines 30 minutes prior to exercise, take more during exercise as needed, and avoid exercise in cold, dry air. I don't know if these instructions are appropriate in your individual case, though.

Normally, the board certified Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology folks are the most specific to asthma. Pulmonologist know something about it, but are usually best at ruling out other pulmonology conditions, in my experience.

I'm not familiar with the policy of not talking about specific doctors. Normally, I'll talk about a specific doctor, but will say something like, "my new PCP" or "the pulmonologist I saw said...." without mentioning their name.

I understand you're wanting to know if there is anyone who does objective testing on exercise induced asthma versus other forms of asthma, but I've never heard of such a thing. I have exercise induced asthma and normally the doctor I see who is board certified in Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology deals with it....but they don't specifically deal only with exercise induced asthma, but they deal with all types of asthma.
atti_editor responded:
You might also find this article on exercise-induced asthma, which includes some home treatment options similar to what amcate described in her reply, helpful.

Best wishes,

Helpful Tips

Sports Asthma
I Have sports related Asthma. I joined the Army and we ran A LOT! the more i ran the better i felt and less my asthma bothered me. i am no ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center